InMagic to AtoM conversion

L Snider

Jun 5, 2016, 5:30:40 PM6/5/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone on the list had ingested InMagic records into AtoM. If you have, would you mind sharing what you did? There is someone that is wanting to do this, and I have thought of a couple of ways, but I would rather not invent the wheel if others have done it.

Thanks so much!

Cheers

Lisa

thearch...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2016, 10:12:53 AM6/7/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Lisa!

This is precisely what we have done (and are continuing to do). There are a few different ways to get data from one to the other, and we started out with a slightly more complex method (perhaps an understatement) way back before the days of csv importing.  The attached diagram shows all the sources we are moving into AtoM, where each of the parenthetical statements identifies the source - those identified as DB are InMagic textbases. Our main method was to export from InMagic into XML, conduct a number of cleanup procedures, then run a PERL script to connect previously unconnected data from the Fonds level (turquoise in the diagram) down through the xls inventories to the File/Box DB (item-level data - brown in the diagram) - the script links three separate sources and produces EAD records.  For further details on this exact procedure, you can take a look at the second document I have attached.  Depending on the structure of your original data, it may be possible to adjust the scripts we wrote to use in your case (and I'm happy to share)...but I suspect you might have better success with the second option.

This second option would be to export your InMagic data to Delimited ASCII Format, import this data into Excel, and adjust each field (column) in preparation for csv import.  You could probably automate these adjustments in some fashion using Google Refine, or even with some of the concatenation or search/replace features in Excel (depending on how you need to massage the data for import).  Using the csv templates as a guide (https://wiki.accesstomemory.org/Resources/CSV_templates), it should be fairly easy to map out the crosswalks from your InMagic field names to the AtoM fields.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
---------------------------------
Jeremy Heil
Digital and Private Records Archivist, Queen's University
Import_Resource_Chart.jpg
Atom-Import_procedures.odt

L Snider

Jun 7, 2016, 8:03:07 PM6/7/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks so much! I knew some people had done it, so I appreciate you sharing that with me.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Lisa

L Snider

Jun 9, 2016, 7:40:40 AM6/9/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

One more follow up question...Were you working with .dmp files?

Cheers

Lisa

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 9:12 AM, <thearch...@gmail.com> wrote:

L Snider

Jun 9, 2016, 7:44:38 AM6/9/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Oh and just to clarify, it looks like you did use .dmp files, but I just wanted to confirm!

thearch...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2016, 12:32:05 PM6/9/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Lisa,

They are .dmp files - the delimited ASCII dmp is basically a csv file - even just changing the file name from dmp to csv will display it correctly in Excel...not that I'm advocating that :)

I have also attached a PDF version of our procedures document, which should fill in any of the gaps you may have encountered in the odt version.

Cheers,

Jeremy
Atom-Import_procedures.pdf

Lisa Snider

Jun 9, 2016, 12:37:45 PM6/9/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks so much, really appreciate the information.

I had never come up against .dmp files, except way back with Oracle, so I am learning more about them now!

Thanks again!

Cheers

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone