No servers specified in gearman.yml

Augusto Torres

Jul 13, 2017, 11:21:11 AM7/13/17
to AtoM Users
We have the atom installed working fine, using the FreeBSD + Apache + php + mysql system. I have great experience with this set of systems, and most of the needs are provided in this system.
Recently responsible for our historical archives, raised the need to export data to CSV. Well, researching, I found infrormations that it is necessary to install the "gearman" for this to be possible. I found in the freebsd system ports this tool as well as the gearman.so plugin for PHP. Unfortunately it does not work with Atom, although German is up and running.
The same error is always displayed:

Php symfony jobs: worker

No servers specified in gearman.yml

Is it possible to run this package on FreeBSD?
Why Atom has a certain exclusivity for ubuntu or debian systems, which turns out to be a problem to make it work on other unix systems.

I am seeing that I will have to install a unique server for the Atom to work, because I am not able to make this tool work in the environment I already have for other applications.
Att
Augusto

Dan Gillean

Jul 13, 2017, 11:55:50 AM7/13/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Augusto,

I'm sorry you are having difficulties. As to why we focus on Ubuntu, it is exactly for this reason: there are endless variations of distributions and flavors for linux, and in each one of them, the way that packages and other dependencies are managed is completely different. We do everything we can to make AtoM and all of its related resources, including this forum, accessible without costs or membership requirements - you can read more about our business model and development philosophy here. This means that Artefactual invests countless unpaid hours into bug fixes, release testing and packaging, documentation, tutorials, and forum support.

We simply cannot test AtoM on every single possible combination of O/S, webserver, and database - we do not have the time or resources to prepare many alternative installation instructions or workarounds where packages are unavailable. We prefer to focus on one distribution and do it well based on our experience and skills, instead of offering bad documentation and support for many platforms.

This means that we rely on our community to support each other when users choose to install differently than our recommendations. I hope that if you continue to work with FreeBSD, you might share your installation instructions, tips, and tricks with the community - we will happily add them to our wiki and share them here for others to benefit!

In the future, there are likely development approaches we could take for better abstraction, so AtoM is not so dependant on a particular distribution. Keep in mind that we are working on a project that was started over 8 years ago, with a business model that makes it very difficult for us to get paid for maintenance work (as everyone wants a new feature, but no one wants to pay to upgrade or overhaul a dependency). As such, we have learned a lot over the years, and will likely make different choices that take these lessons into account when we begin to consider AtoM3. For now, we have to work with what we have, as we don't have the resources to overhaul AtoM without support from institutions like yours.

In the meantime, we at Artefactual are unable to offer you support for this particular set-up, as we are less familiar with FreeBSD and don't have the resources to test and document this particular configuration. I would suggest that you try checking the Gearman and FreeBSD resources and forums.

You might also consider virtualization - running Ubuntu (and AtoM) as a production-ready virtual appliance on your FreeBSD o/s. This would allow you to follow our recommended installation instructions and install all dependencies in your appliance as documented.

Hopefully others on this list with FreeBSD experience might have some tips for you.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

dougth...@hotmail.com

Jul 14, 2017, 12:39:37 PM7/14/17
to AtoM Users
Augusto,

A couple of things to make sure of.   Do a netstat -tulpn | grep gearmand to see what address and port gearman is listening on.   By default it is probably 127.0.0.1:4730 or localhost:4730.   Make sure you have an entry in your /etc/hosts like 127.0.0.1    localhost.    Then under your atom config folder make sure the gearman.yml matches up to what you found above.    So if it's 127.0.0.1:4730 and gearman is on the same server as Atom the gearman.yml should have an entry for servers with the default set at 127.0.0.1:4730.  Good luck.

Doug