I don't have a webserver. Can I still use AtoM?

Jennifer Head

Apr 2, 2024, 10:48:40 AMApr 2
to AtoM Users
Hello everyone,

I'm very anxious to give AtoM a try, but unfortunately my organization does not have a web server. Is there any other way that I can use AtoM to manage my collections or am I out of luck?

Jennifer

Dan Gillean

Apr 2, 2024, 11:09:57 AMApr 2
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jennifer,

If you are looking to play around in a test instance:

First, there is our publicly accessible demo site, here:
Credentials are listed on the homepage. This site will automatically refresh every couple hours, so feel free to add, modify, and/or delete anything you find. Be equally aware that others might be logged into the site changing things, if there is any weird behavior. Additionally, please note that all uploads are disabled for security purposes.

If you would like a local test instance you can set up on a personal computer like a laptop etc, we have 2 development environments available - A Docker Compose instance, and a Vagrant box. Both of them will create small virtual servers on your local machine, essentially imitating the environment you need to install a full instance. Please note that these are intended for local testing and development ONLY - they are not suitable for production use or public access.

The Docker Environment will likely be more suitable for Linux and Mac users; the Vagrant environment is easier for Windows users (given that Docker requires HyperV, which Microsoft only includes in Professional versions of Windows). See:
The Vagrant slides will cover some of the Windows workaround required more than the official documentation, which is more geared towards developers. The slides are also a bit dated, so commands (like restarting PHP-FPM) that are version specific may be out of date - refer instead to the most recent documentation. If you want a reusable set of demo data, see also:
Finally, if you are talking about a production-ready instance that your institution can use for description and access - if you do not have the local infrastructure to install and maintain AtoM, then you have 2 choices, depending on how much technical experience you have in-house.

For a turnkey solution, you can look for organizations who are offering AtoM hosting services. Artefactual offers these internationally - you can read more on our website and contact our info email address for more information. There are also other vendors who offer AtoM hosting services as well!

If you have system administrators who are confident with linux-based server maintenance, then you could look at paying for for an Ubuntu virtual server from a provider such as Digital Ocean or OVH, and do the installation and maintenance inside the provided environment instead. This is generally cheaper than an AtoM hosting plan (which will include installation, maintenance, and ongoing support), but it moves the burden for all those added-value services onto your team - you will need to do the installation, handle upgrades, troubleshoot issues etc. yourself.

I hope that this helps outline some additional options for you!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.