Archon to AtoM collection ID migration

m.gor...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2019, 5:43:13 PM1/14/19
to AtoM Users
I see a potential problem if we migrate to AtoM from Archon.  It would affect at least our university archives collections given how record group numbers have been entered over the years.  It was done this way because we got the results we wanted in Archon's public interface.  I'm wondering if an automated process can fix this, or prior to migration, would we manually need to fix the collection IDs.  Could a migration merge the RG number in the classification with the sub-group numbers in the collection ID?

I assume the Collection Identifier in Archon's Collection Manager maps to AtoM's Identifier field under the identity elements screen.

In the AtoM screen shot, I typed out the RG 27-10-1.  In Archon, you can see that this number string comes from 2 places.  The RG 27 from the classification and the 10-1 from the collection identifier.  The third and fourth screen shots are how this displays to researchers.
archon_browse_id.png
archon_collection_view_id.png
archon_id.png
atom_id.png

Dan Gillean

Jan 15, 2019, 11:48:24 AM1/15/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Matt,

I would suggest running an EAD export and examining the output to see what's included in the <unitid> element on export - this is the EAD element that maps to AtoM's identifier field.

If we at Artefactual were running a migration project based on EAD 2002 XML transformations for your institution, then so long as both the classification and the collection identifier are present somewhere in the files we are working with, we could prepare a transformation rule to merge them.

However, I recall you mentioning in another thread that the classification info is potentially not included in your exports.

In that case, it gets a bit trickier. I could be wrong as to how we'd approach this (I'm not a developer, and would likely need to confirm the strategy with our team), but we might require you to prepare a CSV that included the collection name, identifier, classification, and preferred final identifier post-transformation, and prepare some sort of script that would use the CSV as a lookup for modifying the EAD files. Since not every collection will have the same classification, it wouldn't be possible to prepare a bulk transformation without some work on your end to provide the necessary contextual information.

I think I've shared this before, but for others following this thread wondering about AtoM data migrations - the following slide deck provides a general overview of some of the considerations that go into preparing to migrate your data into AtoM:
Of course, in a different thread you posted, I suggested some alternative ways in which you might recreate a sort of classification system in AtoM. How we approach migrating the current classification information would depend on the strategy you intend to use to recreate that experience in AtoM.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

m.gor...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2019, 1:55:09 PM1/16/19
to AtoM Users
Seems like a migration would be OK because it looks like the RG 27-10-1 is captured in EAD export.  Am I seeing that right?
collection_ID.jpg

Dan Gillean

Jan 16, 2019, 5:31:31 PM1/16/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Matt,

Oh, nice, looks like the classification code is being concatenated into the identifier on export?

It looks like, if you were to import this into an AtoM instance, you would end up with the collection-level identifier as: 3/RG 27/10-1.

AtoM would be looking at this line of the EAD XML file:

<unitid countrycode="US" encodinganalog="035" label="Identification" repositorycode="US-ICarbs">3/RG 27/10-1</unitid>

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.