Limit to delete records

Rute Mira

Feb 12, 2021, 4:56:13 AM2/12/21
to AtoM Users
Is there a limit on the number of records that can be deleted in a fund?
In our application a fund was deleted that contained 13 thousand records and the application started to get errors 504 timeout

Dan Gillean

Feb 12, 2021, 5:56:23 PM2/12/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Rute,

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to give a precise number on this, as it will depend on how your AtoM instance has been installed and configured - the amount of available CPU and memory, as well your PHP execution limits. Your web browser also typically has its own timeout limit so that page load requests don't exhaust all available client memory, and since deletion requests are being performed synchronously via the web browser, adjusting PHP execution values such as max_execution_limit may not fully solve the issue for large operations, as eventually your web browser might terminate the operation mid-process.

For very large deletions you have a couple options:
  • When working via the user interface, start by deleting intermediary levels. For example if your 13-thousand record fonds has a couple series, try deleting a series, or even a subseries first.
  • For large hierarchies with no intermediary levels, consider using the command line. We have a task that can be used to delete descriptions, described here. While you still might need to adjust your PHP execution limits for large requests, this will at least bypass the limitations of the web browser.
A couple other thoughts:

In the future it would be possible to handle hierarchy deletion requests via the Job scheduler - this is how we have resolved many of AtoM's long-running request issues with large operations, such as moves, imports and exports, etc. This will require development for us to implement but it's a good option for solving this in the long term.

Finally, if you've run into repeated 504 errors when trying to perform large deletes, there's a chance that, as those operations timed out, they have left incomplete rows in the database, which could cause database corruption. We have some recommended queries that can be run against MySQL to check for this, along with some tips for resolving the most common issues, on the Troubleshooting page, here:
You may want to ask a system administrator to perform some of these checks, just in case! Better to catch and fix a problem early!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 4:56 AM Rute Mira <ruth...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a limit on the number of records that can be deleted in a fund?
In our application a fund was deleted that contained 13 thousand records and the application started to get errors 504 timeout

Rute Mira

Feb 15, 2021, 11:34:49 AM2/15/21
to AtoM Users
thank you for your answer