Data migration from Adlib to AtoM

Ingeborg Versprille

Sep 23, 2021, 5:03:38 AM9/23/21
to AtoM Users

Dear users,
We, the Expatriate Archive Centre, are considering mirgrating our data to AtoM. We are therefore interested in sharing experiences with users who have migrated their data from Adlib to Atom. We are trying to identify and describe all steps needed for data migration to Atom and practical experience and advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences,

Ingeborg Versprille
Archivist EAC

Dan Gillean

Sep 24, 2021, 8:50:35 AM9/24/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Ingeborg,

I can't provide specifics on an Adlib migration, but the following slide deck might help to give you an overview of the migration process to AtoM:
As noted in the slides, I would recommend using CSV exports to migrate over XML such as DC or EAD, if Adlib supports such an option or someone can write scripts to extract CSVs directly from Adlib's database. This gives you better mappings coming in (XML standards like EAD are highly flexible, so perfectly valid EAD exports from one system may not always map as expected on import into AtoM, but the CSV import is custom designed for AtoM), and there are also more tools for performing data cleanup prior to import (as the slides note, OpenRefine can be a powerful tool when used for data cleanup!).

If using CSVs for migration is an option, the following might help you prepare your description CSVs:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056