Incorrectly converted longitude data for AL121967 Chloe

Sohum Chatterjee

Mar 8, 2024, 12:07:01 AMMar 8
to ibtra...@googlegroups.com
(POST SCRIPT: Please look into the attached images for reference. Thanks!)

Good morning!

I've been developing a discord bot for my friends in the weather community, and I have just implemented a storm track plotting command thay draws from the ibtracs database. So this morning, one of my friends reported an unusual bug, saying that the track map for Hurricane Chloe of 1967 was broken as the map wrapped around incorrectly for the prime meridian.

I tested the issue and tried out other prime meridian crossers using my code (Debbie 1961, Faith 1966, Charley 1986, Ophelia 2017) but I could never replicate this issue, as they all generated correctly, which led me to suspect that there might be an issue in the databse for Chloe itself.

Subsequent investigation led me to discover that the last longitude in the USA_LON field in the last entry is wrongly convered to be -358.5 rather than the correct value of +1.5 in the database entry for it.

I would be grateful if you could rectify the issue at your leisure.

Additional information:

ID: 1967248N15341
Name: Chloe 1967
ATCF ID: AL121967

Thanking You,
Sohum Chatterjee.

Track_Map5.png
Track_Map3.png
Screenshot_20240308_101318_Chrome.jpg

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

Mar 14, 2024, 3:58:56 PMMar 14
to Sohum Chatterjee, ibtra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sohum,
Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention and we are looking into it further.
Best,
-Jennifer

Jennifer Gahtan, Ph.D.
Physical Scientist
Climate Science and Services Division (CSSD)
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
151 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28801