Typhoon TRIX in 1952

大野 悠斗521313

Apr 30, 2024, 5:50:18 PMApr 30
to ibtra...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I realized when comparing the RSMC Tokyo Best Track Data (JMA) and IBTrACS data that for Typhoon TRIX in 1952, the JMA data starts at 00 UTC October 16 1952 (the initial latitude and longitude is N8.7 E136.2), but the IBTrACS data for TOKYO starts at 12 UTC October 16 1952 (the initial latitude and longitude is also N8.7 E136.2).

So, is the IBTrACS data incorrectly 12 hours behind?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yuto Ono

Mie University (Japan)

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

May 1, 2024, 5:22:34 PMMay 1
to 大野 悠斗521313, ibtra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Yuto Ono,
Thanks for reaching out.
Especially in the older data, dates and times of some storms may be unreliable, with resulting discrepancies between sources (including when storms are relatively strong) that makes the merging of tracks more difficult. To account for this challenge, the IBTrACS algorithm may add a time offset for the data from some sources in certain storms to better allow the overall track to match up.
In the case of TRIX 1952, 8 different tracks were used as sources in IBTrACS. The JMA, CMA, and one set of TD9636 data were offset by 12 hours such that storm positions could better align. For example, in JMA, before the offset, only 5 out of 39 positions matched whereas the offset allowed 35 of 39 positions to match within 111km of the other group of tracks.
We acknowledge that this is an added source of uncertainty, especially if the specific timing of a particular storm is needed, in which case it may be preferable to consider timings in the source data (JMA in this instance), however the overall statistics of the storm should remain the same.

Best,
Jennifer

Jennifer Gahtan, Ph.D. (she/her)
Physical Scientist
Climate Science and Services Division (CSSD)
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
151 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28801

大野 悠斗521313

May 1, 2024, 11:15:08 PMMay 1
to ibtra...@googlegroups.com