Sea Surface Temperatures (SSTs) Along Track

Kyle Hunter

Aug 11, 2022, 1:27:28 PM8/11/22
to IBTrACS Q&A
Where is the best place to find approximate SSTs for each ISO_Time and Lat/Lon for the purpose of creating an additional column of observations to add to the All Available IBTrACS Data summarization table at the bottom of each storm's profile?

Carl Schreck - NOAA Affiliate

Aug 15, 2022, 10:02:17 AM8/15/22
to Kyle Hunter, IBTrACS Q&A
There are a number of good SST datasets out there. OISST and ERSST are two of the more popular ones.

We have talked in the past about making a supplemental dataset like this with SST and other variables used in models like SHIPS. Let us know if there is broad interest in something like that.

Carl

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 1:27 PM Kyle Hunter <khu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Where is the best place to find approximate SSTs for each ISO_Time and Lat/Lon for the purpose of creating an additional column of observations to add to the All Available IBTrACS Data summarization table at the bottom of each storm's profile?

Carl J. Schreck III, PhD (he/him)
Research Scholar
North Carolina State University
North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS)
Cooperative Institute Satellite Earth System Studies (CISESS)
151 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28801

office: 828-257-3140
mobile: 828-484-1702

Kyle Hunter

Aug 17, 2022, 8:38:12 PM8/17/22
to IBTrACS Q&A
Thank You.

Im not sure how wide-spread the support for additional observations/datasets may be, but here you have my full-throated support to pursue this endeavor.

Lena Heuscher

Aug 18, 2022, 11:00:51 AM8/18/22
to IBTrACS Q&A
I would also be interested in something like that.

Lena Heuscher

--
Lena Heuscher
PhD Candidate, Atmospheric Science

Raven Vasquez

Dec 16, 2022, 2:10:53 PM12/16/22
to IBTrACS Q&A
Little late to respond, however there is a new dataset that is sort of a derivative of IBTrACS that does supply satellite observations and environmental data, SST included. I would keep tabs on RAMMB CIRA TC PRIMED project for when that is released publicly.

--
Edward Raven Vasquez
Research Assistant