IBTrACS ACTIVE List

David Schmid

Jun 1, 2023, 10:35:24 AM6/1/23
to IBTrACS Q&A
Hi all,

There is the IBTrACS ACTIVE version, see

My questions are:
  1. How often is this csv list updated when there is an ongoing event
  2. What is the time lapse?
Would you recommend using this list to track the position, the maximum winds and the radius of maximum winds of an ongoing cyclone? Is it globally consistent or are there differences from basin to basin?

Are there other / more suitable data sources to track those parameters reliably and systematically on a near-real time basis?

Many thanks for your help!
David

Ken Knapp - NOAA Federal

Jun 5, 2023, 9:09:46 AM6/5/23
to David Schmid, IBTrACS Q&A
Hi David-
Thanks for your questions.

1. How often is this csv list updated when there is an ongoing event
The IBTrACS data are updated three times a week. We run updates on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. It may take up to a day for that data to be archived and posted online.

2. What is the time lapse
I suspect you mean the lag from the latest observation to when it is available in IBTrACS. When IBTrACS is run on a given day, it will generally have current information (generally no older than 6 to 12 hours).

Would you recommend using this list to track the position, the maximum winds and the radius of maximum winds of an ongoing cyclone? Are there other / more suitable data sources to track those parameters reliably and systematically on a near-real time basis?
Of course it can be used, but I would caution what the purpose is. IBTrACS is not to be used for decisions of life and property in real time. If you are trying to get the latest information on a system, you should go to the source: the regional specialized meteorological center (RSMC). In the US, that is the National Hurricane Center. The RSMCs provide public information on the latest tropical systems in real time, which can and should be used for decisions of life and property. I can't stress enough the need for people to use that information first. This is why IBTrACS information is only updated a few times per week. We are not the operational source of information for real time data.

So why do we provide regularly updated information on storms? Well, we collect all global information on reanalyzed (historic) and working (recent) best track data. This allows current storms to be put into a historical perspective. You have both in one place.

Is it globally consistent or are there differences from basin to basin?
Unfortunately, Best track data is not very globally consistent. RSMCs provide information pertinent to their regional constituents. That means that there are differences from RSMC to RSMC. I would recommend that you read the IBTrACS documentation for a better understanding of the differences. Also, there are some articles that talk about it as well.

I hope this helps.
-Ken

Ken Knapp,
NOAA/NCEI/CSDB
828-271-4339

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this email are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the official views or policies of NOAA, Department of Commerce, or the US Government.

David Schmid

Jun 8, 2023, 6:45:01 AM6/8/23
to IBTrACS Q&A
Hi Ken,
Many thanks for your answers! This is very helpful information.
Best regards,
David