TCvitals data source

Lam Nguyen

Mar 29, 2023, 5:20:13 AM3/29/23
to IBTrACS Q&A
Dear IBTrACS Team,

I am looking at storm track data of tropical cyclone FREDDY (Mar 2-14 2023). For track points reported from 9th March, I see that the reporting agency is "tcvightals" instead of "tcvitals". May I check if this is a typo, or whether this refers to any real reporting agency?

Under source information of this storm, it is also mentioned that data is retrieved from "BOTH_tcvitals.txt:Line=6948::combined_tcvitals.new:Line=8178" - Could I ask where the file "combined_tcvitals.new" comes from as well?

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Tung Lam

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

Mar 29, 2023, 1:52:15 PM3/29/23
to Lam Nguyen, IBTrACS Q&A
Hi Tung Lam,

The "tcvightals" name is not a typo and comes from tc vitals data that we obtain from UCAR (http://hurricanes.ral.ucar.edu/repository/data/tcvitals_open/) whereas the "tcvitals" data is obtained from NCEP (https://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/).

Note that both of these sources are still PROVISIONAL and are not considered quality best tracks that have been reanalyzed (see further discussion in our technical documentation: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/2021-07/IBTrACS_version4_Technical_Details.pdf ). Agency best track data will be added to IBTrACS when we receive them from our partners.

Hope this helps,
Jennifer

Jennifer Gahtan, Ph.D.
Physical Scientist
Climatic Science and Services Division (CSSD)
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
151 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28801