Judy 2023 not accurately reported in Ibtracs

Vincent MAAREK

Nov 9, 2023, 5:00:56 AM11/9/23
to ibtra...@googlegroups.com, Thibault CALVET

Dear Ibtracs team,

I’m reaching out because it seems like there’s an issue with the report of the Judy 2023 track that occurred close to Vanuatu in January 2023.

Indeed, investigating the data and plotting it yields the following :

Une image contenant texte, diagramme, capture d’écran, carte

Description générée automatiquement

As you can see, part of the track is missing (when it raised to Cat 3), and it seems like there is a “ghost track” on the eastern part (grey points).

Can you please provide some explanations about this case, and ideally update the Ibtracs file accordingly if it appears to be an error.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Vincent

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

Nov 9, 2023, 10:00:34 AM11/9/23
to Vincent MAAREK, ibtra...@googlegroups.com, Thibault CALVET
Hi Vincent,

For JUDY 2023, it looks like two of our provisional sources disagreed such that an alternate or 'spur' track was formed. I suspect that you are plotting the 'PROVISIONAL-spur' track_type version of JUDY (https://ncics.org/ibtracs/index.php?name=v04r00-2023059S14169) over the 'PROVISIONAL' storm (https://ncics.org/ibtracs/index.php?name=v04r00-2023058S13171) which is what is causing the ghost track, so your problem should be fixed by only using the 'PROVISIONAL' track.
Also, note that this data is still the working best track and will be updated when the reanalyzed best track data are available from our partner agencies.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer Gahtan, Ph.D.
Physical Scientist
Climate Science and Services Division (CSSD)
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
151 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28801

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

Dec 6, 2023, 11:15:40 AM12/6/23
to Vincent MAAREK, ibtra...@googlegroups.com, Thibault CALVET
Hi Vincent,

I just wanted to inform you that the track for JUDY in IBTrACS has been fixed (no more spur), though be aware that the data is still considered provisional.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Vincent MAAREK

Dec 6, 2023, 11:19:11 AM12/6/23