missing wmo_wind since 2023

wenyu

Jun 19, 2024, 3:47:18 PMJun 19
to ibtra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I noticed that in the file of ibtracs.since1980.list.v04r00.csv, there is no wmo_wind since 2023. I wonder why is that? And if I would like to do global analyses, should I just use usa_lat, usa_lon, and usa_win?

Thanks,

Wenyu

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

Jun 20, 2024, 10:01:41 AMJun 20
to wenyu, ibtra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wenyu,

We're in the process of transitioning to v04r01, so the v04r00 data hasn't been updated with the latest data. You can access the v04r01 data, which should have wmo variables for 2023, here https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/international-best-track-archive-for-climate-stewardship-ibtracs/v04r01/access/csv/ with documentation here though the website hasn't been updated yet.

As for which data to use, it depends on the purpose. The usa_lat, usa_lon, and usa_wind would work for global analysis as the methods of production, including wind averaging times, are reasonably consistent globally.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer Gahtan, Ph.D. (she/her)
Physical Scientist
Climate Science and Services Division (CSSD)
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
151 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28801

wenyu

Jun 20, 2024, 1:02:39 PMJun 20
to Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal, ibtra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your reply and your explanation on the usa_wind.

I thus wonder what are the benefits of wmo_wind relative to usa_wind?

Thanks,

Wenyu

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal <jennife...@noaa.gov> 于2024年6月20日周四 07:01写道:

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

Jun 21, 2024, 3:02:13 PMJun 21
to wenyu, ibtra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wenyu,
The wmo_wind contains wind data from different agencies based on the official RSMCs responsible for each region. For the wmo_wind it would be best to use the lat and lon of the corresponding agency based on location. Note that these agencies don't always have the same wind averaging period and have procedural differences; additionally there may be discrepancies at a boundary point between two different agencies if a storm transfers between areas of responsibility. The wmo_pres variable will tend to be more consistent than wmo_wind.

Thanks,
Jennifer