NOAA's BigQuery Hurricane Table Seems to No Longer be Updated

Michael Dezube

Jul 2, 2024, 10:59:17 AMJul 2
to ibtra...@googlegroups.com
to track provisional and ongoing tropical storms/hurricanes, but it seems this hasn't been updated with storms since 5/28/24 Why would this be the case?  Is there a way to get new data flowing in again?

Direct BigQuery table is
`bigquery-public-data.noaa_hurricanes.hurricanes`

Thanks!

--
Mike Dezube
Founder and Principal Data Scientist, Charles River Data

Ken Knapp - NOAA Federal

Jul 2, 2024, 12:34:59 PMJul 2
to Michael Dezube, ibtra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike
Google grabs data from our servers to update their BigQuery hosting.
However, we recently moved from version v04r00 to version v04r01. So the BigQuery is still using the older version for its source. This system was set up by Google more than 6 years ago, so we're looking for a contact at Google who can help get the table to point to the new v04r01 version. If you can find a contact in pages that you have access to, please let them know that there is a new version of IBTrACS.
Will let you know if we can find anything out (I've already have one Google email bounce from a cancelled address).

Thanks for alerting us and for your patience-
-Ken

Ken Knapp,
NOAA/NCEI/CSDB Chief
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this email are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the official views or policies of NOAA, Department of Commerce, or the US Government.

Michael Dezube

Jul 2, 2024, 1:14:58 PMJul 2
to Ken Knapp - NOAA Federal, ibtra...@googlegroups.com
Ahh interesting!

So long story short, I actually worked at Google for ~8 years and even on the hurricane cones on Search (although not in the data pulls upstream). That having been said, if you have a specific contact I'll reach out to them or up their manager chain to see if they can move their pointers.

Mike

Michael Dezube

Jul 4, 2024, 5:57:01 PMJul 4
to Ken Knapp - NOAA Federal, ibtra...@googlegroups.com
I found who owns this at Google, will follow up directly, let me know any documentation I should forward them.

Ken Knapp - NOAA Federal

Jul 8, 2024, 8:33:12 AMJul 8
to Michael Dezube, ibtra...@googlegroups.com
The latest documentation is at our website:
Thanks-
-Ken