Wind Speed in IBTrACS

Dek Ina

Mar 27, 2024, 4:49:58 AMMar 27
to IBTrACS Q&A
Hi! I realize there is couple of wind speed type in IBTrACS. If I want to analysis global cyclone, should i choose WMO_WIND instead of wind from the responsible agency? Thanks in advance!

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

Mar 29, 2024, 11:26:32 AMMar 29
to Dek Ina, IBTrACS Q&A
It depends on which source data you want to use and your use case.
The WMO_WIND option will give wind speeds from the agency responsible for the location of the storm if data is available (as shown here https://community.wmo.int/en/tropical-cyclone-regional-bodies), however data from different agencies will have procedural differences.
You can also select wind data from the source that you want to use (and are encouraged to use that source's lat and lon data too). A common choice for global analysis would be USA_WIND as it will include data from all USA sources including NHC and JTWC.

Thanks,
Jennifer

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 4:50 AM Dek Ina <yy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi! I realize there is couple of wind speed type in IBTrACS. If I want to analysis global cyclone, should i choose WMO_WIND instead of wind from the responsible agency? Thanks in advance!

Jennifer Gahtan, Ph.D.
Physical Scientist
Climate Science and Services Division (CSSD)
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
151 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28801
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted