Definition for tropical storms in Madagascar

Alex Alex

May 24, 2022, 12:20:40 PM5/24/22
to IBTrACS Q&A
Hello!
I hope this finds you well.
I am looking for the definition of what counts as a tropical storm in the area of Madagascar and I can't seem to find it. Could you help?
Many thanks,
Alexandra

Jason Rees

Jun 7, 2022, 9:02:52 AM6/7/22
to IBTrACS Q&A
Hi Alex Alex,

As I am sure you are aware, Madagascar lies in the South-West Indian Ocean tropical cyclone basin and is a member of the WMO RA I Tropical Cyclone Committee. These days the committee breaks the tropical storm stage down into two separate stages: Moderate Tropical Storm and Severe Tropical Storm. To the best of my knowledge they do not require a tropical cyclone to have gale-force winds over at least 1/2 of its centre.

A Moderate Tropical Storm is defined as having 10-minute sustained winds of 34–47 knots (63–87 km/h; 39–54 mph).
A Severe Tropical Storm is defined as having 10-minute sustained winds of 48–63 knots (89–117 km/h; 55–72 mph).

Source: The RA I Tropical Cyclone Operational Plan located at https://community.wmo.int/tropical-cyclone-operational-plans

Regards,

Jason Rees
Wikipedia Editor