Different report in 2024 and 2021

Dek Ina

Mar 30, 2024, 7:48:49 PMMar 30
to IBTrACS Q&A
Dear Sir/Madam, My colleague downloaded the IBTrACS data in 2021, and I downloaded it from the same link in 2024. We noticed discrepancies in the reports, which we attribute to maintenance updates, especially in recent years. However, we observed a change in the reporting of the Cempaka Tropical cyclone (2017), which was listed as -1 in the USA SSHS index in the 2021 report but is now listed as -5 in the 2024 report. We are curious about the reasons behind this discrepancy. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

Apr 1, 2024, 11:28:39 AMApr 1
to Dek Ina, IBTrACS Q&A
Hi-
CEMPAKA 2017 (2017325S10112) doesn't actually contain any data from USA sources, only from BOM, so the USA SSHS index is non-applicable and the -5 (unknown) value makes sense. Going back to data from 2021, it doesn't look like there was USA data for this storm then either, so the -1 value was likely a bug that has been since fixed.

Thanks,
Jennifer

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 7:48 PM Dek Ina <yy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam, My colleague downloaded the IBTrACS data in 2021, and I downloaded it from the same link in 2024. We noticed discrepancies in the reports, which we attribute to maintenance updates, especially in recent years. However, we observed a change in the reporting of the Cempaka Tropical cyclone (2017), which was listed as -1 in the USA SSHS index in the 2021 report but is now listed as -5 in the 2024 report. We are curious about the reasons behind this discrepancy. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Jennifer Gahtan, Ph.D.
Physical Scientist
Climate Science and Services Division (CSSD)
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
151 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28801

Dek Ina

Apr 30, 2024, 6:10:17 AMApr 30
to IBTrACS Q&A