Track-type Designation of Madge (1973)

Michael Morrone

Mar 13, 2024, 2:56:25 PMMar 13
to IBTrACS Q&A

Hello,

I see there are two IBTracs names for T.C. Madge (1973) – 1973060S08161, which is designated as “main” under the track_type column  of the https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/international-best-track-archive-for-climate-stewardship-ibtracs/v04r00/access/netcdf/IBTrACS.ALL.v04r00.nc file and 1973061S10155, which is designated at “spur-split” under this column.

I was under the impression that the “main” designation is akin to the “best” track designation in the IBTracs database and the spur types are alternative tracks.  However, in this case, the “main” track is weak and short-lived and the “spur-split” track is two and a half weeks in length and reaches a minimum central pressure of nearly 950 mb.

So, my question is, should these be reversed in their track-type designations in the IBTracs database?

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Mike

Michael Morrone

Meteorologist

mi...@oceanweather.com

Oceanweather, Inc.

350 Bedford Street

Suite 404

Stamford, CT (USA) 06901

Tel: 203-661-3091

Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal

Mar 14, 2024, 3:48:58 PMMar 14
to Michael Morrone, IBTrACS Q&A
Hi Mike,
This storm will be fixed (into one main track) in an upcoming minor version update (v04r01) which will have increased quality control for the spurs. Until then, please use the spur-split track for MADGE.
Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer Gahtan, Ph.D.
Physical Scientist
Climate Science and Services Division (CSSD)
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
151 Patton Ave. Asheville, NC 28801

Michael Morrone

Mar 14, 2024, 3:51:35 PMMar 14
to Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal, IBTrACS Q&A

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the reply!

Best Regards,

Mike

Michael Morrone

Mar 19, 2024, 10:27:23 AMMar 19
to Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal, IBTrACS Q&A

Hi Jennifer,

I found several more storms that might need to be reclassified for “track-type” of being a spur to “main”:

1.  1956060S20117 (NOT_NAMED), which is marked as “spur-other”, but is a relatively decently length of 5 days and reaches a minimum SLP of 960 mb as per the bom data in IBTRACS.
https://ncics.org/ibtracs/index.php?name=v04r00-1956060S20117

2.  1994298N25161 (ZELDA) – track length of 15 days, reaches max wind speed of 135 knots and min SLP of 910 mb; currently marked as “spur-split.”
https://ncics.org/ibtracs/index.php?name=v04r00-1994298N25161

3.  1994263N17170 (PAT) – track length of one week, reaches max wind speed of 95 knots and min SLP of 965 mb; currently marked as “spur-merge.”
https://ncics.org/ibtracs/index.php?name=v04r00-1994263N17170

4.  1992357S13143 (NINA) – track length of two weeks, reaches max wind speed of 85 knots and min SLP of 960 mb; currently marked as “spur-merge.”

5. 1878237N25283 (NOT_NAMED) – track length of five days, reaches max wind speed of 90 knots and min slp of 972 mb; currently marked as “spur-split.”
https://ncics.org/ibtracs/index.php?name=v04r00-1878237N25283

6.  2008023S10050 (FAME) – track length of 10 days, reaches max wind speed of 85knots and min slp of 959 mb; currently marked as “spur-merge.”
https://ncics.org/ibtracs/index.php?name=v04r00-2008023S10050

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Best Regards,

Mike

I believe that all of these storms have also been fixed in the new quality control checks that we've implemented in upcoming v04r01. You may be interested to note that a couple of these storms (PAT and FAME) were part of Fujiwhara mergers, which is why they had initially been flagged as mergers. Once again please use these tracks as makes sense until the new release.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Michael Morrone

Mar 20, 2024, 9:05:10 AMMar 20
to Jennifer Gahtan - NOAA Federal, IBTrACS Q&A

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for those notes on storms Pat and Fame and for your quick reply.