ibrowse as a downloader

Alessio Garzi

Aug 20, 2022, 6:41:04 AM8/20/22
to IBrowse Users
Hello I was wondering if it's possible to connect ibrowse to arexx to download a file non interactively,
Currently when i ask to download a file, ibrowse opens a new window asking me where i want to store the file, this is not what i want. I want to pass some parameter with arexx declaring where to store the file, is it possible? didnt find anythink like this in the documentation. My goal is to have ibrowse as a replacement of wget

Javier de las Rivas

Aug 21, 2022, 3:49:43 AM8/21/22
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
*** On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 03:41:04 -0700 (PDT), Alessio Garzi wrote:

> Hello I was wondering if it's possible to connect ibrowse to arexx to
> download a file non interactively,
> Currently when i ask to download a file, ibrowse opens a new window
> asking me where i want to store the file, this is not what i want. I want
[...]

http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/documentation/html/arexx.html

SAVE/S
This switch is used to specify that the URL should be saved to disk. The MIME Type can be overridden using the MIME switch.
e.g. rx "ADDRESS IBROWSE; 'GOTOURL URL=www.somesite.com/file.lha SAVE'"

Sets RC to -6 if no browser is active.

Regards
--
AOS4.1/SAM460ex/PPC460EX-1155MHZ/2048MB/RadeonRX550/SSD240GB/DVDRW :-P

Alessio Garzi

Aug 21, 2022, 4:23:18 AM8/21/22
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
i dont think this solves the problem since still it requires some user interaction to select the destination, let's say i want to save file.lha into ram: , i have to manually select the ram: in the requester that pops up, i want to do something like

rx "ADDRESS IBROWSE; 'SAVELOCATION DEST=ram: GOTOURL URL=www.somesite.com/file.lha SAVE'"

Tim Seifert

Aug 21, 2022, 9:39:27 AM8/21/22
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 2022-08-20 at 03:41 -0700, Alessio Garzi wrote:
> My goal is to have ibrowse as a replacement of wget

I just have to ask why? What is the advantage?

You want to replace a small program that can already be used to do what
you want with a large program that has to be forced to do what you
want.

Alessio Garzi

Aug 21, 2022, 11:18:59 AM8/21/22
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
The reason Is wget fails to download using tls1.2 which Is nowdays required from most websites. Instead It seems ibrowse can handle this situation just fine.
Wget working on tls would be the perfect solution but.... i dont know how to do it.

Tim Seifert

Aug 21, 2022, 12:46:11 PM8/21/22
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 2022-08-21 at 17:18 +0200, Alessio Garzi wrote:
> The reason Is wget fails to download using tls1.2 which Is nowdays
> required from most websites. Instead It seems ibrowse can handle this
> situation just fine.
> Wget working on tls would be the perfect solution but.... i dont know
> how to do it.

Assuming there's not a newer version of wget available that supports
tls1.2, what about "curl"? It's another command line tool like wget.

Alessio Garzi

Aug 22, 2022, 4:07:27 AM8/22/22
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
seems that curl has the same problem... right now i solved with a reverse proxy server running on a pc but very inconvenient solution... a little implementation on ibrowse would be very appreciated and i dont think it would be so hard to do, just read some new parameter from arexx and if it's set use it as a destination without opening requester.

Oliver Roberts

Aug 22, 2022, 4:28:57 AM8/22/22
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
You could use the MIME parameter for GOTOURL and set up a custom download mimetype in the IBrowse settings to force an automatic download to a specified directory?

Alessio Garzi

Aug 23, 2022, 4:09:37 PM8/23/22
to IBrowse Users
i dont know if this is doable or not

Javier de las Rivas

Aug 23, 2022, 4:34:44 PM8/23/22
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
*** On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 13:09:37 -0700 (PDT), Alessio Garzi wrote:

> i dont know if this is doable or not

Try this as MIME:
Type: archive / download
Action: Save to disk
Arguments: %n
Def. save dir: RAM: [@|use (no req)]

and use it as Oliver suggested and see if it works.

> On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 10:28:57 AM UTC+2 oli...@futaura.co.uk
> wrote:
>
>> You could use the MIME parameter for GOTOURL and set up a custom
>> download mimetype in the IBrowse settings to force an automatic download
>> to a specified directory?
>>
>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 at 09:23, Alessio Garzi <gun1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> i dont think this solves the problem since still it requires some user
>>> interaction to select the destination, let's say i want to save
>>> file.lha into ram: , i have to manually select the ram: in the
>>> requester that pops up, i want to do something like
>>>
>>> rx "ADDRESS IBROWSE; 'SAVELOCATION DEST=ram: GOTOURL URL=
>>> www.somesite.com/file.lha SAVE'"

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ibrowse-users/CADzARABYMaMy_Cz0k0X5UO5kHVz%3DbdR_UkXP5tjjrKF0XDPA2g%40mail.gmail.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ibrowse-users/CADzARABYMaMy_Cz0k0X5UO5kHVz%3DbdR_UkXP5tjjrKF0XDPA2g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>

>> --
>> Oliver Roberts / @Futaura / www.futaura.co.uk

Regards
--
AOS4.1/SAM460ex/PPC460EX-1155MHZ/2048MB/RadeonRX550/SSD240GB/DVDRW :-P