iBrowse palette AGA

red night

Jan 13, 2024, 5:44:18 PMJan 13
to IBrowse Users

Is there a swatch PNG, or DPaint palette file of the colors used in native modes.

ideally I want my Amiga centric page to not need to dither anything.

Tim Seifert

Jan 14, 2024, 1:41:46 AMJan 14
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 2024-01-13 at 14:44 -0800, red night wrote:

> Is there a swatch PNG, or DPaint palette file of the colors used in native modes.
>
> ideally I want my Amiga centric page to not need to dither anything.

You should be able to screengrab a screen and look at its palette. But
you'd be depending on other visitors using the same colours.

Javier de las Rivas

Jan 14, 2024, 4:22:45 AMJan 14
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Hola red

El 13-01-2024, escribiste:

> Is there a swatch PNG, or DPaint palette file of the colors used in
> native modes.
>
> ideally I want my Amiga centric page to not need to dither anything.

Don't use images on your main page ;-)
Or if you use, make them 4, 8, 16 colors.

Saludos
--
AOS4.1/SAM460ex/PPC460EX-1155MHZ/2048MB/RadeonRX550/SSD240GB/DVDRW :-P

Oliver Roberts

Jan 14, 2024, 6:47:36 AMJan 14
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
That's going to be tough because the palette is not fixed, so you can't
guarantee it will be same on all systems. Obviously, it depends on the
depth of the screenmode that IBrowse is running on, but it also depends
on how many colours may have been allocated by other applications
sharing that screen and the palette setting in the IBrowse image
decoding settings (also whether using internal or external decoders).

IBrowse allocates the palette using the AmigaOS ObtainBestPen()
routine, which means the colours IBrowse asked for may not necessarily
the the same as what the OS provides. IIRC, the colours that IBrowse
actually ask for are the 6x6x6 web safe 216 colour palette (Google this
for more info) in fast mode or a combined 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 colour
palette offering 189 colours in best mode.

http://www.visibone.com/color/faq.html explains this quite well, for
example.

IBrowse then uses some funky algorithms to choose the best pens from the
allocated palette, which are different depending on whether FS dithering
is enabled or not.

So, all you can really do is perhaps use a subset of the 6x6x6, 5x5x5,
or 4x4x4 palettes, depending on how colour intensive your page is, but
you are probably never going to avoid dithering entirely.

--
Oliver Roberts / @Futaura / www.futaura.co.uk

red night

Jan 14, 2024, 8:21:44 AMJan 14
to IBrowse Users
The palette I drew the images in is using my 32 color workbench palette (which is the default one for fullpalette) , they dither in IBrowse - they don't in my workbench. I will try recoloring in a 32 color palette from the websafe palette. I have tried to run Ibrowse in 32. 64 and 256 color mode. Thanks.