iBrowse - new user

Mark Jaques

Dec 18, 2021, 8:18:20 AM12/18/21
to IBrowse Users
Hi, I have an A1200 and am using roadshow, AMISSL and ibrowse with a 3Com 3c589 to get online. I have manually configured my IP settings and can resolve names and ping servers on the internet. FTP also works.

However, iBrowse doesnt seem to want to load up a web page when I give it any kind of URL.

The status bar a the bottom reports it is "looking up the URL", then goes onto make a connection but then goes no further with a status of "sending Request"...

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I can try? Thanks, Mark

Jaeson Koszarsky

Dec 18, 2021, 2:26:55 PM12/18/21
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
I don't have roadshow but it could be something in its configuration.  If no one here has other suggestions, you can try the roadshow help forum. There's a thread about host lookup that sounds similar to your situation.

I'm not sure if this affects Amiga or not, but I recall my old mac powerbooks having connection problems if the batteries died and the clock reset to an older year.  It wouldn't connect until I corrected the clock & date.  I think I had this problem with any of my Amigas, but they are usually good with the keeping the time/date.

Have you tried another Amiga browser just to see if you experience the same problem?  If so, it would suggest something wrong with the network connection and roadshow set-up rather than the browser.

Jaeson

Oliver Roberts

Dec 23, 2021, 9:26:45 AM12/23/21
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
I think you also posted this on EAB - I've not seen a response to my reply, so I am reposting it below...

A few things to try - avoid HTTPS sites until you can get HTTP working, as this simplifies testing. I presume you have a fair amount of free ram?

Try aminet.net as a test. You can use Roadshow's tcpdump command to monitor the HTTP connection, allowing a hex dump of sent and received data (not so useful for HTTPS due to encryption, obviously).

You could also try switching off persistent connections in the IBrowse network settings to see if that makes any difference, likewise with disabling the disk cache.
--
 Oliver Roberts  /  @Futaura  /  www.futaura.co.uk