IBrowse 3.0 now available

Oliver Roberts

Nov 19, 2023, 12:41:22 PM11/19/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everybody,

I thought I'd let all the faithful users here be the first to know
that IBrowse 3.0 may now be downloaded from
http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/ :-)

I'm not going to repeat everything here, as I have been refining the
website to make it easier to read about new releases, so you can now
find details on all the new features on the "What's new" page which
summarises things in a hopefully straightforward manner.

I have been working on putting this together since the release of
IBrowse 2.5.7 and successful testing over the last year means that the
time is now right to make it public! It is not what was originally
intended for IBrowse 3, but things have changed in the last 20 years.
The important thing is that IBrowse now has a new unified baseline,
where I am now free to move forward with changes that could not be
made to IBrowse 2.

IBrowse 3 is a free upgrade for those registered IBrowse 2.5 users who
already paid for the full version - there is a small upgrade fee for
those who took advantage of the old 68K only discount (which was
phased out a while back). Discounts still also available for upgrades
from older versions.

Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Goodbye IBrowse 2 :-(

--
Oliver Roberts / @Futaura / www.futaura.co.uk

Steen Lund

Nov 19, 2023, 3:01:33 PM11/19/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic, thank you

Den søn. 19. nov. 2023 kl. 18.41 skrev 'Oliver Roberts' via IBrowse
Users <ibrows...@googlegroups.com>:

Jaeson Koszarsky

Nov 19, 2023, 3:26:07 PM11/19/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Oliver!

Jaeson

amig...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2023, 4:16:00 PM11/19/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
When will css be supported?

Sent from App for Gmail

Russell Butler

Nov 19, 2023, 4:48:18 PM11/19/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Oliver,

But, as luck would have it, my Amiga is out of action at the moment. Aaargh!

Wurzel

Samir Hawamdeh

Nov 19, 2023, 8:49:31 PM11/19/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Hello mate,

Thanks a lot for the new 3.0 milestone release, it's really an historical moment for the project!
Just tested the demo release and it works nicely under AmigaOS 4.1 :-)
If you send me the latest .cd file i can provide you an instant update for the italian translation!

Btw, is there any chance for a couple general feature request about the future release?

1) I see now simple button are used by default for the navigation bar, and i like it :-)
However how about adding a proper support for the tooltips on the buttons?
I mean that simple help bubble text that will appear once you will pass your mouse pointer over an object/button/item...
Text used could be the same used for the name of the button (picked by the locale catalogs)

For example the Reload button could just show a tooltip that say "Reload" when you pass your mouse pointer over it for a couple of seconds :-)

2) It would be convenient if you can use the Workench titlebar to show some information about the program!
Right now the only way to check the browser version is to opening the internal about via menu (the HTML embedded page)
However it would be nice to also used the titlebar to make the browser name + its version instantanely visible.

For example, in this case the text showed in WB titlebar could be:

IBrowse 3.0 (19.11.2023)

Thanks :-)

Javier de las Rivas

Nov 20, 2023, 7:22:59 AM11/20/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
*** On Sun, 19 Nov 2023 17:41:16 +0000, 'Oliver Roberts' via IBrowse Users wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I thought I'd let all the faithful users here be the first to know
> that IBrowse 3.0 may now be downloaded from
[...]
> Goodbye IBrowse 2 :-(

GREAT!!!!

Where can I get the catalog (.CD) so I can upadte spanish translation?

TiA

Regards
--
AOS4.1/SAM460ex/PPC460EX-1155MHZ/2048MB/RadeonRX550/SSD240GB/DVDRW :-P

Albrecht Kinzkofer

Nov 21, 2023, 12:54:27 PM11/21/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Is it Christmas already...?   ;-)

Thank you, Oliver, for your continued work on IBrowse!

kind regards
Albrecht

Gesendet: Sonntag, 19. November 2023 um 18:41 Uhr
Von: "'Oliver Roberts' via IBrowse Users" <ibrows...@googlegroups.com>
An: ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Betreff: [ibrowse] IBrowse 3.0 now available

amig...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2023, 12:57:07 PM11/21/23
to 'Jaeson Koszarsky' via IBrowse Users
When will css be supported?

Sent from App for Gmail

Javier de las Rivas

Nov 21, 2023, 6:25:15 PM11/21/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
*** On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 09:57:03 -0800, amig...@gmail.com wrote:

> When will css be supported?
[...]

2 more weeks ;-)

Regards
--
AOS4.1/SAM460ex/PPC460EX-1155MHZ/2048MB/RadeonRX550/SSD240GB/DVDRW :-P

Samir Hawamdeh

Nov 28, 2023, 9:06:54 PM11/28/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I was able to bomb crashing IBrowse 3.0 Demo with a single file :-)
Just extracted this archive, then dragged (D&D) that long text file over IBrowse :-)
Crashed in some MUI class...

Maybe some missing check?
CrashConsole.file.zip

Javier de las Rivas

Nov 29, 2023, 7:28:30 AM11/29/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Had to add .HTML extension, but it loads fine here.

Using MUI 5 nightly build (2023.02.15)

Regards
--
AOS4.1/SAM460ex/PPC460EX-1155MHZ/2048MB/RadeonRX550/SSD240GB/DVDRW :-P

Samir Hawamdeh

Nov 29, 2023, 3:32:42 PM11/29/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
@Javier

Latest MUI5 here aswell, just dragged the file without adding the .html extention

Crashed -->

Symbol info:
Instruction pointer 0x6D469E80 belongs to module "" (HUNK/Kickstart)

Stack trace:
    0x6D469E80 symbol not available
    0x6D469A08 symbol not available
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x00021b44
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x00009f68
    [Applist.c:106] LIBS:muimaster.library:ApplistDispatcher()+0x2d8 (section 1 @ 0x303D8)
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x00020288
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x000217a8
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x0000a568
    [masterreq.c:488] LIBS:muimaster.library:LIB_MUIP_AppObject()+0xac (section 1 @ 0x1CDB4)
    [masterreq.c:542] LIBS:muimaster.library:LIB_MUI_AllocAslRequest()+0x60 (section 1 @ 0x1CE68)
    [masterreq.c:608] LIBS:muimaster.library:LIB_MUI_AllocAslRequestTags()+0x3c (section 1 @ 0x1D0AC)
    [Popasl.c:531] LIBS:mui/Popasl.mui:_Dispatcher()+0x3dc (section 1 @ 0x1314)
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x00020288
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x00021140
    [masterclass.c:482] LIBS:muimaster.library:LIB_MUI_NewObjectA()+0x1a8 (section 1 @ 0x387C)
    [masterclass.c:529] LIBS:muimaster.library:LIB_MUI_NewObject()+0x3c (section 1 @ 0x39C4)
    module APPDIR:ibrowse at 0x6B8A9C0C (section 0 @ 0xD1BE8)
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x00020288
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x000217a8
    native kernel module intuition.library.kmod+0x0000a568
    module APPDIR:ibrowse at 0x6B7E84C8 (section 0 @ 0x104A4)
    module APPDIR:ibrowse at 0x6B8FFD84 (section 0 @ 0x127D60)
    module APPDIR:ibrowse at 0x6B7E7910 (section 0 @ 0xF8EC)
    module APPDIR:ibrowse at 0x6B8FFE0C (section 0 @ 0x127DE8)
    module APPDIR:ibrowse at 0x6B7FD714 (section 0 @ 0x256F0)
    module APPDIR:ibrowse at 0x6B8CF5DC (section 0 @ 0xF75B8)
    native kernel module newlib.library.kmod+0x0000260c
    native kernel module newlib.library.kmod+0x00003338
    native kernel module newlib.library.kmod+0x0000385c
    APPDIR:ibrowse:_start()+0x1e0 (section 1 @ 0x1DC)
    native kernel module dos.library.kmod+0x0002a490
    native kernel module kernel+0x00057104
    native kernel module kernel+0x0005717c

PPC disassembly:
 6d469e78: 7d2903a6   mtctr             r9
 6d469e7c: 4e800420   bctr
*6d469e80: 813e8004   lwz               r9,-32764(r30)
 6d469e84: 7fe6fb78   mr                r6,r31
 6d469e88: 7d054378   mr                r5,r8

Oliver Roberts

Samir Hawamdeh

Nov 29, 2023, 6:14:12 PM11/29/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
@Oliver

Does it crash with JavaScript disabled? I haven't had a chance to check yet, but my initial suspicion would be a JS issue, but I could be wrong.

JavaScript is enabled in my case

Javier de las Rivas

Nov 30, 2023, 7:21:11 AM11/30/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
*** On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:32:39 +0100, Samir Hawamdeh wrote:

> @Javier
>
> Latest MUI5 here aswell, just dragged the file without adding the .html
> extention
>
> Crashed -->
[...]

When y D&D file (without .html extension) it just opens a window (MSG_ASKUSER_WINDOWTITLE) "Specify action for ''"
maybe is some MIME type you have in IB preferences.

Regards
--
AOS4.1/SAM460ex/PPC460EX-1155MHZ/2048MB/RadeonRX550/SSD240GB/DVDRW :-P

Oliver Roberts

Nov 30, 2023, 6:01:57 PM11/30/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
On 30/11/2023, Javier de las Rivas <jabi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *** On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:32:39 +0100, Samir Hawamdeh wrote:
>
>> @Javier
>>
>> Latest MUI5 here aswell, just dragged the file without adding the .html
>> extention
>>
>> Crashed -->
> [...]
>
> When y D&D file (without .html extension) it just opens a window
> (MSG_ASKUSER_WINDOWTITLE) "Specify action for ''"
> maybe is some MIME type you have in IB preferences.

Yes and this is exactly where the crashlog is pointing. I had assumed it
was crashing rendering the page, but clearly it is crashing much earlier,
before the "Specify action for" window has been opened. It is crashing
during allocation of this window.

Samir, does it crash if you start IBrowse with default settings? And does
it crash when running in English? That said, I did try with your latest
Italian catalog and it didn't crash.

Samir Hawamdeh

Nov 30, 2023, 6:54:50 PM11/30/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
@Oliver

Samir, does it crash if you start IBrowse with default settings? And does
it crash when running in English? That said, I did try with your latest
Italian catalog and it didn't crash.

Ok, I will try tomorrow with standard settings and without the italian catalog :-)

Btw, could you send us the latest IBrowse.cd ?

Oliver Roberts

Dec 1, 2023, 11:09:02 AM12/1/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 at 23:54, Samir Hawamdeh <s.haw...@gmail.com> wrote:
@Oliver

Samir, does it crash if you start IBrowse with default settings? And does
it crash when running in English? That said, I did try with your latest
Italian catalog and it didn't crash.

Ok, I will try tomorrow with standard settings and without the italian catalog :-)

Also, does it happen straight after booting and loading IBrowse with a blank page and then dragging the file? I'm currently tracking a bug in http.protocol that can trash memory, so if your issue only happens after network activity in IBrowse, it could be the cause.

Btw, could you send us the latest IBrowse.cd ?

You should have already received it from the locale mailing list?

Samir Hawamdeh

Dec 1, 2023, 12:27:11 PM12/1/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
@Oliver

Also, does it happen straight after booting and loading IBrowse with a blank page and then dragging the file? I'm currently tracking a bug in http.protocol that can trash memory, so if your issue only happens after network activity in IBrowse, it could be the cause.

After booting can say, but in that moment the entire network was down
I had just opened IBrowse and then i dragged the file over the default about page opened

 You should have already received it from the locale mailing list?

I'm subscrived there but i did not received anything
Could you maube post the files here?

patrik...@arcor.de

Dec 5, 2023, 7:08:01 PM12/5/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Am 2023-11-19 schrieb 'Oliver Roberts' via IBrowse Users <ibrows...@googlegroups.com>:

Hi Oliver,

> I thought I'd let all the faithful users here be the first to know
> that IBrowse 3.0 may now be downloaded from
> http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/ :-)

Thanks for the update. I saw that you offer a MorphOS archive and was happy about it but IBrowse is still 68k including all the downgrades from a MorphOS perspective (NList instead of native lists, AmiSSL instead of MorphOS native SSL library, protocols, libs etc. are 68k), only the javascript library is PPC. What are your plans for a real MorphOS version?

> IBrowse 3 is a free upgrade for those registered IBrowse 2.5 users who
> already paid for the full version - there is a small upgrade fee for
> those who took advantage of the old 68K only discount (which was
> phased out a while back). Discounts still also available for upgrades
> from older versions.

How long do you plan to keep this offer? Before you close it, will you announce it? Before Christmas the pocket money is a bit small.

By the way the default fonts on the about: page are super small. I can almost not read them. It would be good to have a more reasonable font config so that users don't have to adjust all fonts first before they can read some text.

Greetings,

Patrik

Oliver Roberts

Dec 7, 2023, 8:46:47 AM12/7/23
to ibrows...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrik,

On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 at 00:08, 'patrik...@arcor.de' via IBrowse Users <ibrows...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Am 2023-11-19 schrieb 'Oliver Roberts' via IBrowse Users <ibrows...@googlegroups.com>:

> I thought I'd let all the faithful users here be the first to know
> that IBrowse 3.0 may now be downloaded from
> http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/ :-)

Thanks for the update. I saw that you offer a MorphOS archive and was happy about it but IBrowse is still 68k including all the downgrades from a MorphOS perspective (NList instead of native lists, AmiSSL instead of MorphOS native SSL library, protocols, libs etc. are 68k), only the javascript library is PPC. What are your plans for a real MorphOS version?

The MorphOS archive contains pre-optimised contents for MorphOS - i.e. MorphOS native NList, MorphOS native JS core engine and the 68060 image decoders. The MorphOS native JS library has also obviously been removed from the OS3 archive. Yes, the large majority is still currently 68k, but the 68k version does make use of some MorphOS specific functions when it detects it is running on MorphOS - off the top of my head, alpha blending and anti-aliased text rendering. I may well port the rest of IBrowse to MorphOS in the future (it was impossible, until recently, due to IBrowse previously requiring a couple of features that are specific to GCC for AmigaOS 4.x), but currently HTML engine improvements are taking priority.

As for SSL, perhaps you should ask the MorphOS team why AmiSSL has been ignored and they decided to develop their own proprietary OpenSSL port, instead of something that already existed? Jens and Thore put great effort into adapting the source code to make a native MorphOS version of AmiSSL v4 possible, but nobody from the MorphOS community wanted to help complete the missing elements. I frankly don't have the time or hardware to complete the MorphOS port of AmiSSL, but anyone is welcome to do so. IBrowse will not be able to use the MorphOS team's solution, as IBrowse makes heavy use of AmiSSL's multithreading support, for maximum efficiency and performance.

> IBrowse 3 is a free upgrade for those registered IBrowse 2.5 users who
> already paid for the full version - there is a small upgrade fee for
> those who took advantage of the old 68K only discount (which was
> phased out a while back). Discounts still also available for upgrades
> from older versions.

How long do you plan to keep this offer? Before you close it, will you announce it? Before Christmas the pocket money is a bit small.

Don't worry, the prices will remain like this for at least a few more weeks yet - I've not yet decided if/when the prices will change back.

By the way the default fonts on the about: page are super small. I can almost not read them. It would be good to have a more reasonable font config so that users don't have to adjust all fonts first before they can read some text.

I had noticed this when running MorphOS via QEMU, but I figured I'd misconfigured something because all the fonts in the whole MorphOS UI were tiny - the IBrowse font sizes are similar to the MorphOS default font sizes. It is strange that Deja Vu Sans 14 looks the same size on Windows, Ubuntu and AmigaOS, yet on MorphOS the fonts look about half the size in comparison - all on the same 1920x1080 screen, I might add. I would be willing to change the IBrowse settings, but if I've misconfigured something in MorphOS, I don't want other users to end up having massive fonts in IBrowse. Does anybody have any ideas on this?