Another IBM 1130 emulator

Paul Anagnostopoulos

May 30, 2024, 10:23:57 AMMay 30
to IBM1130
In 2012–13, I wrote an emulator for the fictitious IBM 1130 model 7, which has additional instructions and other enhancements. I've attached a screen capture of the machine room, showing a command entered into ICL, the Interactive Command Language for my operating system.

I had a ton of fun writing this emulator, an enhanced assembler, and the beginnings of an operating system.ICL-run-command.jpg

Paul Anagnostopoulos

May 30, 2024, 10:26:52 AMMay 30
to IBM1130
In case anyone is interested, I've attached the Functional Characteristics for the fictitious model 7. You can see my take on useful additional instructions.

~~ Paul
model-7-func-char.txt

Claudio Vincenzi - GMail

Jun 6, 2024, 1:37:36 PMJun 6
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul!

Amazing job! Is it still a work in progress?

Claudio

--
IBM1130 discord channel: https://discord.gg/nrFEMt48mE
---

Paul Anagnostopoulos

Jun 6, 2024, 4:25:48 PMJun 6
to IBM1130
Thanks! No, I worked on it for about two years, writing the emulator and then a good bit of a new operating system. Then I lost steam.

Since then, I have designed many fictitious 1950/60s-era machines, written emulators for them, and then written software. I recently worked on the ICM RAMIAC, a variant of the IBM RAMAC. I'm currently working on the ICM Galaxy 1000, a ridiculous machine that echoes a bit of the CDC Star-100.

ICM is my fictitious computer company: International Computing Machines.

~~ Paul

Claudio Vincenzi - GMail

Jun 10, 2024, 9:08:22 PM (11 days ago) Jun 10
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul!

 “A huge endeavour, a great effort.”

In this case, I think you should invite more people to join you in this big effort.

There are so many things in the scope of this for just one person.

Certainly you had great ideas designing a fictitious model 7 and the new OS,
one that could use those new hardware features - something I used to think
about when I was a 1130 programmer (I used to look at that quiet DM2 console
and think "why this machine doesn't talk to the operator like the IBM/370?")

Me and many people would love to see how this would work, even if simulated.

Best regards.
Claudio

Paul Anagnostopoulos

Jun 11, 2024, 11:30:09 AM (11 days ago) Jun 11
to IBM1130
Thanks, Claudio. It would be a fun group project to design a fictitious extension to the 1130, write an emulator for it, and then have people contribute to a new OS. It could be called "Open Fictitious Source." If we wrote the emulator in Python, everyone could run it on whatever system they are using.

~~ Paul