TNMOc IBM-1130 being removed

Claudio Vincenzi - GMail

Jun 20, 2024, 12:19:02 AMJun 20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Some days ago I contacted TNMOc - the British National Museum of Computing - (tnmoc.org) to offer the IBM-1130 simulator as a donation. I suggested that it could be used in the same space as their IBM-1130 being on display. They initially shown some interest, but the last letter was somehow sad and disappointing: Here it is:

Hello Claudio

Thank you for considering us for your donation.

The only one of our volunteers who was familiar with the 1130 has left, so it will probably be removed from display shortly to make space for something else. I have approached our Collections Subcommittee regarding your 1130 emulator and they have declined your kind offer.

So I started to think if there would be a way to keep that 1130 on display but being, at least at the software and operation level. remotely maintained. Just a crazy idea - it would involve possibly connecting a companion PC via some specifically-tailored interface that could allow that PC to "operate" the IBM-1130 - the CPU buttons and switches, to begin with. It would need to sense the 16 bits of ACC , AE, flags, IAR and more. That companion PC could be remotely operated via the Internet. The 1132 printer would require a simpler interface. The big problem (one of) is the 1442 - the principal input using cards. Maybe, another interface could 'fake' cards passing the 1442 read station and some jumps on sensors could allow the 1130 CPU to 'read' cards (sent by the PC). A Job could run under command of a remote operator. There are a lot other things to be resolved, of course, including making all this hardware stuff, the needed control software and .... going to the UK to install all that on the real machine. Just a crazy idea - a brainstorm - and thinking is free.

Regards
Claudio Vincenzi

--
Claudio Vincenzi

Bob Flanders

Jun 20, 2024, 12:29:54 AMJun 20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
In September 2019, I visited the TNMOC and got to "run" the 1130

image.png

WHAT
RUSH.

Sorry to hear Peter left. He was an 1130 advocate.

What a loss :(

Bob

--
IBM1130 discord channel: https://discord.gg/nrFEMt48mE
---

Bob Flanders

Jun 20, 2024, 12:36:14 AMJun 20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Couple more pics from the trip.
image.png

Bob Flanders

Jun 20, 2024, 12:37:04 AMJun 20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Couple more pics from the trip.

image.png
Inside the 1442

Claudio Vincenzi - GMail

Jun 20, 2024, 7:30:28 AMJun 20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
For sure ... a big loss for the 1130 enthusiasts.
As I said, feel bad thinking about that machine being stored and who else knows what comes next.

Cool pictures of you and the machine.
That 1442 synch motor could drive my car if needed lol.
So as all the AC motors IBM used ... very robust pieces.

Regards
Claudio

--
Claudio Vincenzi

dave....@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2024, 11:10:30 AMJun 20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I think the machine has been less that reliable. I am sure if any one in the UK was capable of maintaining it they would be welcome as a volunteer…

Dave