Re: [IBM1130] Digest for ibm1130@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

Mickey Cohen

May 24, 2020, 3:46:54 PM5/24/20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Well....in every excel these days there is PowerQuery under the data tab. The programming language of this PowerQuery is called M-Language.
M-Language is a far decedent of .... Forth...

Best,
Mickey

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:07 AM <ibm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Danyel Lawson <danyel...@gmail.com>: May 19 02:49PM -0700

I thought the whole point of forth was that you don't need the source code
for a specific platform as you only need to implement a few forth
instructions like ADD to get the forth compiler to compile for that
platform..

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 6:26:45 PM UTC-4, Bob Flanders wrote:
Bob Flanders <bob.fl...@gmail.com>: May 19 02:57PM -0700

Hi Danyel,

That's true with more modern Forth systems. Just implement relatively few
primitive at the low level and the rest should just work. But this is not
modern, this is the first Forth system ever. Even then, it was a relatively
small amount of pure assembler then the rest was (proto-) Forth.

Bob

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 5:49:04 PM UTC-4, Danyel Lawson wrote:
John Pierce <jhn.p...@gmail.com>: May 19 02:58PM -0700

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 2:49 PM Danyel Lawson <danyel...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> for a specific platform as you only need to implement a few forth
> instructions like ADD to get the forth compiler to compile for that
> platform..

FORTH uses a threaded interpreter. the 4-5 pages of assembler code
referenced on that post consist of the entirety of that interpreter, plus
the core intrinsic functions..

--
-john r pierce
recycling used bits in santa cruz

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 2:49:04 PM UTC-7, Danyel Lawson wrote:
> for a specific platform as you only need to implement a few forth
> instructions like ADD to get the forth compiler to compile for that
> platform..

Mostly true, but the simple design allows great flexibility in
implementation. On some given architecture, an implentor make choices that
may require major rewrites, but keep that FORTHish nature. Eg. indirect
threaded vs. direct; on machines with words larger then the addresses,
embedding operands in the word, and others. FIG-Forth was a common standard
and had many high-fidelity implementations on 8 bit word size machines, and
good implementations on 16 bit word machines. Other word sizes gave
opportunity for experimentation. I have been toying around with a 36 bit
word implemetnation and am working towards a unique FORTH that will still
be recognizible as FORTH, but might require handstands to port code to.

-- Charles

Nick Seidenman

May 26, 2020, 10:43:52 AM5/26/20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com