The 1130 at Bletchley Park

David Cortesi

Feb 15, 2020, 9:46:46 AM2/15/20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, Carl Claunch
Attached find a picture of the 1130 at the National Museum of Computing in Bletchley Park, England. The volunteer docent told me it was being restored, that it had been running recently and the 1132 printer did print. He wasn't sure about the card reader.

The 1130 is far from the rarest computer there; just to the right is the door to the room with the reconstructed EDSAC and the Harwell Dekatron, for example. But it looks good!

Dave Cortesi

0215 1130.jpg

Lucio Fassio

Feb 24, 2020, 8:39:39 AM2/24/20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
definitely a time machine, i can hear the sounds of fans and motors and the thump of the printer

Bob Flanders

Feb 24, 2020, 10:27:15 AM2/24/20
to IBM1130
Hi,

I was there in September. Got to run a memory diagnostic.

Brought back memories!!!

Bob

de...@laptop4hire.com

Feb 24, 2020, 2:24:48 PM2/24/20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

When I worked for IBM, San Jose, in 1969, I wrote a new memory diagnostic for the 1130 / 1800. Wonder if it was mine or the earlier version? My version had a memory stress test that ran in 4K while beating the other 4K, then relocated itself to the other 4K and reversed the process. If the memory was greater than 8K, it would move itself to the next 8K. I remember that it found a flaw in the 1800 design. If a memory position had a parity error after a write, but wasn't read before setting the memory protect bit on the position(s), setting memory protect would mask the error. Great for a process control computer, huh? I reported it because it was an obvious hardware problem and the diagnostic could find it. Management said it couldn't be fixed, but they weren't going to tell customers.

Dean

Eddy Quicksall

Feb 26, 2020, 9:51:09 AM2/26/20
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I used the 1620 and 1401 before the 1130. But the 1130 was the first I used where you could get a timesharing system from DNA.