An 1130 from France

Antoine Hebert

Jun 22, 2023, 4:50:31 AM6/22/23
to IBM1130
Hello all,
I am from Aconit in Grenoble, France
(if you don't know us, we are not a museum, but rather the reserves of a museum that don't exist yet)

We decided to fire up our 1130 (we have 2 in fact but the other one is in pretty bad shape) for the first time in the last 10 years. So far so good, all command seems to respond correctly and we succeeded to do a little test program using the front switch.
We have not tried any peripheral yet.

We didn't know much about this machine two weeks ago, so all suggestion are welcome.

Ricardo Bánffy

Jun 22, 2023, 7:28:00 AM6/22/23
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
That's beautiful!
> --

Ricardo Bánffy
http://about.me/rbanffy

Sam Fergis

Jun 22, 2023, 9:31:53 AM6/22/23
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Warmest greetings!,
So very wonderful to see the 1130 keep its presence and to be carefully watched after and maintained. Keep up the good work!

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

Jun 22, 2023, 1:39:01 PM6/22/23
to IBM1130
Hi Bob,

Yes ! I am aware of Carl Claunch's work
In fact i implemented his work on an usb setup for the 029 keypunch some years ago (https://aconit.org/spip/spip.php?article630 in french but you can look at the pictures)
and developed a little add-on software to do "punch-art" (like pixel art but on punch card) https://gitlab.com/aconit_grenoble/ibm029/pixelpunch

Right now we are discovering the system (it is not really to know if it works if you don't know how it is supposed to work...)
It was working regularly years ago but the guy who knew everything left without giving the instructions.
He was afraid of starting the disk reader because of some air filter issue that can break everything, so i don't know if he was correct.

Al Kossow

Jun 22, 2023, 1:57:46 PM6/22/23
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 6/22/23 10:39 AM, Antoine Hebert wrote:

> He was afraid of starting the disk reader because of some air filter issue that can break everything, so i don't know if he was correct.

He is correct. Filtered air and a through cleaning of the drive, heads and media is the first thing to do before attempting
to spin up the drive.

Failure to do this WILL destroy the heads and disk pack.

Replacement heads are impossible to find.

You have been warned.

David Cortesi

Jun 23, 2023, 9:34:26 AM6/23/23
to IBM1130
Perhaps you already know, but a large collection of 1130 documents is here:

Antoine Hebert

Jun 24, 2023, 6:40:23 PM6/24/23
to IBM1130
Yes i know,
I also use the files listed on ibm1130.org

And we also have a full set of binders (for example the complete collection of logic drawings) but not very useful for mechanical issues.

Today we worked on the console printer, everything seems fine except the old fossilised lubricant that stick all the mechanisms together.
When executing the "sense" io command on it, the computer report "busy, not ready" but i don't know if it is due to a fault or just the printer set up not correctly.

David Cortesi

Jun 25, 2023, 9:33:53 AM6/25/23
to IBM1130
In his blog about restoring the 1130, Carl Claunch wrote about problems with hardened lubricant many many times. It was a continuing problem with the 1130 console and also affected other I/O devices he worked on. You should ask him directly (via his blog): is it better to just keep exercising the parts and finding the problems one by one? Or do a complete tear-down and cleaning right now.

Carl Claunch

Jun 26, 2023, 6:45:37 AM6/26/23
to IBM1130
For the 1053 console printer it may be barely feasible to just flush without disassembly, but both the 1132 and 1442 are going to need some disassembly of key portions. The 1134 tape reader will be a breeze by comparison and the 029 keypunch keyboard that is in the console should only need a good deoxidation with a burnishing tool.

if it were an ordinary selectric, without all the microswitches and solenoids, a bath in a good solvent was the best approach, using chemicals that are no longer available because, just like the tape drive cleaner we all used, those chemicals are now classified as carcinogenic. A strong solvent could remove the enamel from the motor and solenoid windings, thus much more challenging with a 1053. The solvents you can use are pretty poor at getting the grease and oil out from between moving parts, so there is still quite a bit of dousing and manipulation required for EVERY SINGLE DARNED movable part in the mechanism. I use a clock oil that is extremely fine as it tends to work its way between the old lubricant and the metal surface,

Message has been deleted