FW: Mensaje privado sobre: 1130 simulator with TSO/CYTOS

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 9, 2019, 7:47:32 AM11/9/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Dropbox keeps changing the link. It is probably something I do but don’t know what. Here is the latest link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k6djc6mrfta03i/1830%20release.rar?dl=0

Eddy

From: Sergio Pedraja [mailto:sped...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2019 6:10 AM
To: esqui...@gmail.com
Subject: Mensaje privado sobre: 1130 simulator with TSO/CYTOS

Hi, Eddy. Is there any way to download a fresh copy of your GE 18/30 (TSO/CYTOS) emulator? I am making a kind of reorganization of all my emulation and simulation stuff and I can't locate the copy of TSO/CYTOS from 2015.

Kind Regards

Sergio Pedraja

El domingo, 19 de abril de 2015, 17:45:33 (UTC+2), Eddy Quicksall escribió:

You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjwmswtv297cqyx/release.rar?dl=0

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 at 6:29:20 PM UTC-4, Eddy Quicksall wrote:

I want to volunteer my 1130 emulator. It has TSO and CYTOS. It has been in use since 1995 in a production environment. It supports up to 15 virtual 1130's over async terminals and one virtual 1130 on the console. It supports dual CPUs each sharing the same cartridges. It supports 1024 cartridges, 32K words per virtual 1130 with 32K words of auxiliary core for the TSO time-sharing kernel. It supports the 1132, 1403, 1442, and mag tape (the printers and reader are simulated but the mag tape requires a physical tape drive). The printer output is spooled. It is designed for MSDOS. I run it on Windows by using VmWare to run MSDOS.

TSO is a Time-Sharing Option for DM2. CYTOS is a CLI for DM2 with a built in source editor.

I am currently writing a Windows file system driver to access the files from Windows programs. I would like to make that driver work with the emulator already on this site, if someone can tell me the format of the emulated cartridges.

Eddy

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 10, 2019, 1:59:36 PM11/10/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I put a copy here: http://quicksall.com/eddy/1830 release.rar. This is a stable place.

Eddy

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 14, 2019, 12:17:19 PM11/14/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Did you have any luck in bringing the system up?

Eddy

Nov 15, 2019, 4:10:54 AM11/15/19
to IBM1130
Hi
1800.exe is a 16 bit build... can someone build a 32 or 64 bit version?
Thanks!

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 15, 2019, 6:02:34 AM11/15/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

It is intended to run on 16 bit DOS.

I used Borland’s C and assembler. I have heard that there is a newer version of the Borland system. You could try loading that and re-build it. Currently I’m having trouble activating XP where I use DOS to  build it.

Eddy

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ibm1130/bec0eb7a-3ec0-450f-a733-cafd9ef8e38b%40googlegroups.com.

Dave Wade

Nov 15, 2019, 7:31:11 AM11/15/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

In that case will it work in DOSBOX? I haven’t tried any real work but I get as far as a user prompt.

Dave

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 15, 2019, 8:21:05 AM11/15/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

It should. But DOSBOX would have to emulate the serial chip exactly because I directly address that chip. I also directly address other chips but they are simple chips (like the 8259). Also I use EMS and XMS memory extensions (as mentioned in the doc).

If you get it working on DOSBOX then I would be interested in the setup.

Eddy

Dave Wade

Nov 15, 2019, 10:11:41 AM11/15/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Eddy,

Since DOSBOX is designed for running games I would expect it to be a good emulator of serial ports, EMS and XMS memory

Bob Flanders

Nov 15, 2019, 12:35:28 PM11/15/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
How about build a VM with either Virtual Box or VMWare (then use VMWare player to run it)?

Bob

Dave Wade

Nov 15, 2019, 1:50:57 PM11/15/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Bob,

Either of those should work but they are a bigger footprint and perhaps a little more complex to install. They also need the virtualization extensions enabled on the CPU.
Dave

Bob Flanders

Nov 15, 2019, 2:51:01 PM11/15/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
HI Dave,

This is true. Might be a problem for older CPUs, but it would be a one time, one size fits all solution.

What do you think, Eddy?

Bob

Bob Flanders

Nov 15, 2019, 2:51:49 PM11/15/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
BTW, I have a DOS 6.22 VM that I can make a player out of. Is that sufficient? Or does it need another OS?

Bob

John Pierce

Nov 15, 2019, 3:02:40 PM11/15/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 11:51 AM Bob Flanders <bob.fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
BTW, I have a DOS 6.22 VM that I can make a player out of. Is that sufficient? Or does it need another OS?

if you're going to distribute it, it would be better to use FreeDOS so there's no copyright issues.

--
-john r pierce
  recycling used bits in santa cruz

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 16, 2019, 1:59:55 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Here are some notes of how I set it up for VmWare. As you can see I use a named pipe which allows me to run Windows10 with VmWare (the VmWare runs XP which runs 1830.exe and I use Windows 10 as if it were a terminal). I usually use Com1 for a serial terminal and com2 for a named pipe). Windows is where I keep all of my source so that my normal backups capture the emulated DSMs. I Visual Studio and setup a button to transfer the files from Windows to 1830.exe. If you want to do that just let me know and I’ll give you the macro that I setup.

On VMWare XP:

- Setup a shortcut to DOS and configure as follows:

     Right click the desktop/New/shortcut/C:\Windows\system32\command.com

     Cmd Line = C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com /c run.bat /s0400

     Working = e:\

     Expanded Memory (EMS) = 16384

     Extended Memory (XMS) = 16384

- setup VmWare for \\.\pipe\com_2 on com2

     Shared Folders = Always Enabled

                      Map as network drive

                      1830   W:\Dropbox\DSI (His)\1830

                      W      W:\

     - drives should look like this (but I'm not sure how Z got setup, maybe by hand):

        E: \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\1830

        W: \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\W

        Z: \\vmware-host\Shared Folders

- setup serial via Device Manager->Ports->USB Serial Port (COM1)

- Use TeraTerm:

  "C:\Program Files (x86)\teraterm\ttermpro.exe" \namedpipe \\.\pipe\com_2 for area 2

  Setup/Terminal 135 X 53

  Setup/Serial Port/COM3, 57600, 7E1

  On VmWare, ctrl/d, serial port: com1, click "connected"

- Build 1830 with "MTCA_USE_COM2    equ   -1" in emul.asm

Eddy

It should. But DOSBOX would have to emulate the serial chip exactly because I directly address that chip. I also directly address other chips but they are simple chips (like the 8259). Also I use EMS and XMS memory extensions (as mentioned in the doc).

If you get it working on DOSBOX then I would be interested in the setup.

Eddy

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 16, 2019, 2:03:03 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I wrote the emulator in the mid 90’s so the age of the CPU should not be a problem. My customer runs it on a very old pure DOS system with 16 external users.

Eddy

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 16, 2019, 2:04:45 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

DOS 6.22 is perfect. That is what my customer uses but and he  does a DOS boot.

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 16, 2019, 2:07:12 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Below the reason you see E, W and Z on the Widows side is because that allows the Windows side to access the DSMs and so the VmWare/XP side to get/put files to the Windows side.

Dave Wade

Nov 16, 2019, 2:21:56 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Eddy,

The issue is not the emulated CPU but that some older CPUs don’t support the AMD Virtual Extensions and won’t run VMWARE player.

br...@quarterbyte.com

Nov 16, 2019, 2:58:26 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping others are working on this, but, out of curiosity, I tried DosBox, and the 18/30 emulator does run in it right out of the box (so to speak). though some additional configuration work is likely needed. It appears to be slow. Host CPU load stayed very low. I think Dosbox is throttling the emulated PC significantly. If that's the case, and if it's configurable, it would be good -- it would mean a compromise could be struck. Also Ctrl+F1 appears to trigger a keyboard remapping mechanism in DosBox, it doesn't suspend emulation, as far as I can tell. So I just closed the DosBox window after logging out. Did not try COM port mapping, I just used the console session. This is all it took to fire it up:

1. Expanded Eddy's .rar archive into e:\cytos
2. Installed DOSBOX
3. Ran DOSBOX and typed
mount c: e:\cytos
c:
run

In any case -- it looks worth pursuing as it doesn't require using a host CPU with virtualization extensions.

VirtualBox might be another option worth trying. It does not require host CPU virtualization extensions either. I've used it extensively when writing about various Windows OSs and found it very reliable.

Brian

br...@quarterbyte.com

Nov 16, 2019, 3:02:26 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Also -- I love it that the icon file for the emulator is almost 4 times larger than the emulator

br...@quarterbyte.com

Nov 16, 2019, 3:07:04 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Well technically it's an icon for an 1130 disk cartridge.  And it could just fit onto an 1130 disk cartridge.

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 16, 2019, 5:01:24 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I wrote a Windows file system driver that allows the Windows side to access the DSMs. I made the icon so it would show which “folders” were the 1830 DSMs. I wrote it using the Dokan library. I found that the Dokan library has a bug when operating in overlap and never ran it  down. If anyone knows how to write a Windows file system driver and wants to try to debug it then I can make my code available.

Eddy

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 16, 2019, 5:10:51 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 16, 2019, 5:44:38 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 16, 2019, 5:47:01 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

The file system driver is not necessary to run the emulator. It is simply a driver that runs on Windows and adds DSMs as if they are folders. As I said below it does have a bug but works about half of the  time.

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 16, 2019, 11:41:31 PM11/16/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

It would be easy to make the DSM driver work with Brian’s DSMs. The difference between mine and his is that my emulation of the disk does not have the sector address before the sector.

I also noticed that Dokan has fixed bugs in the latest Dokan library. Since I don’t supply the library in my “DSM File System Driver.rar” then you will be getting the latest Dokan.lib from the internet and that may give a better result.

Soon I will put the source of the TSO executive out there.

To get to everything use ftp … ftp://quicksall.com/1830/

Eddy Quicksall

Nov 17, 2019, 7:29:29 AM11/17/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I added the Aux Core Monitor (a.k.a TSO Executive) to TPM4.RAR. at Quicksall.com/1830. Most people would probably be most interested in the disk routine. It is called BULKN. Search for “              BULKN” to find the entry point.