1130 asm via pc

Eddy Quicksall

Apr 14, 2019, 3:55:04 PM4/14/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I think I saw once that there is an IBM1130 ASM assembler that runs on a PC. I would like to see if I can make Visual Studio use it. Does anyone know if that has already been done and if it is available where do I get it?

Eddy

Bob Flanders

Apr 14, 2019, 5:36:13 PM4/14/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eddy,

IBM1130.org has a pc assembler to assemble the Disk Monitor. The DM is written in IBM360 macros (I think) and there is no way to assemble it on the 1130 it self, so it was cross-assembled then loaded onto a 2310 cartridge (somehow.)

http://ibm1130.org/sim/downloads/ has the zip download which has all the software and the cross compiler.

Regards,
Bob

Eddy Quicksall

Apr 14, 2019, 5:43:26 PM4/14/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Bob. The way I work on the 1130 is to keep all of my source on my PC then edit with Visual Studio. Then I have a button that will transfer the file to my virtual 2314’s but then I have to switch over to the emulator and run an XEQ (equivalent to MAKE but with CYTOS). Then if there is an error I have to look at the 1403 output and repeat. I was hoping I could jimmy up VS to run an assembler and skip a few steps.

Oh well, I guess I’ll keep doing it the hard way.

Eddy

Dave Wade

Apr 14, 2019, 6:33:23 PM4/14/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Eddy.

  As far as I can see the cross assembler in the 1130 distribution should do what you want. The readme1130.txt says….

asm1130 -l program.asm

                compiles source file, creates simulator load

                file (program.out) and listing file (program.lst)

                The cross assembler wants files either in strict column

                layout matching the IBM spec, or, if tabs are present in the

                source file,

                The output file is in the format used by the 1130 simulator's

                load command.

I believe that DMS is written in “normal” 1130 assembler, but there isn’t enough memory on the 1130 to assemble it.

 So a set of S/360 macros were created that could be used to cross-assemble 1130 code on a S/360.

There is also a standalone “HASP workstation” program that can be run on the 1130 and again the S/360 macros are also used to assemble this.

Dave

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM Eddy Quicksall <Ed...@quicksall.com> wrote:

I think I saw once that there is an IBM1130 ASM assembler that runs on a PC. I would like to see if I can make Visual Studio use it. Does anyone know if that has already been done and if it is available where do I get it?

Eddy

https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif

Bob Flanders

Apr 14, 2019, 7:47:39 PM4/14/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Please let me know if you are able to do something like that. It would be very cool.

Brian Knittel

Apr 14, 2019, 8:32:02 PM4/14/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eddy

The cross assembler also has a card image binary output format, equivalent to the DMS relocatable card image format, stored with two bytes per card column. That's probably the output format you want to use.

And yes, it's your emulator that the ibm1130.org page is talking about.  We should update that!

Has anyone managed to find copies of the IBM operating systems for the 1800? We'd really love to recover them.

Brian

Eddy Quicksall

Apr 14, 2019, 8:53:26 PM4/14/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

When I worked at Cisco I made up a Windows script such that I could edit on Visual Studio, click a button which would send it to Linux for the build then receive the result into Visual Studio and parse the output such that I could examine and fix the errors with Visual Studio F4. I can’t remember the exact script but have thought about how I would do that to CYTOS. Maybe I’ll play with that idea some.

Norman Jaffe

Apr 14, 2019, 9:19:26 PM4/14/19
to ibm1130
Hi Brian:
I believe that I have source tapes for IBM 1800 TSX - I don't know what condition the tapes are in, as they've been in tape containers since the mid-70s.
I don't have access to a tape drive that can read them, however.
[I also have some HP 3000 Store tapes that I'd love to be able to recover files from, but that's another story...]