java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/ibm/cs/util/ObjInfo

Mario

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
I assume there is a configuration-problem, but i have no idea what goes
wrong. Can anybody help me?
After the first call of a JSP-Page the Web-Application gives the
following message to the browser:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/ibm/cs/util/ObjInfo
at
com.sun.jsp.compiler.Jsp1_0ParseEventListener.beginPageProcessing(Jsp1_0ParseEventListener.java:525)

at com.sun.jsp.compiler.Main.compile(Main.java:307)
at com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspLoader.compile(JspLoader.java:86)
at com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspLoader.loadJSP(JspLoader.java:200)
at
com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspServlet.java:99)

at
com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:110)

at
com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:400)
at com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:510)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:639)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(ServletManager.java:557)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:160)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:287)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:105)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(ServletManager.java:349)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ServletManager.java:705)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletManager.java:631)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(WebApp.java:1129)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebApp.java:1001)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebApp.java:960)

at
de.company.package.ui.handler.RequestHandler.dispatchToJSP(RequestHandler.java)

at
de.company.package.ui.handler.LoginRequestHandler.processRequest(LoginRequestHandler.java)

at
de.company.package.ui.UserInterfaceManager.processRequest(UserInterfaceManager.java)

at MainServlet.service(MainServlet.java:39)
[...]

com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.InvokerServlet.service(InvokerServlet.java:172)

[...]

com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebGroup.java:681)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedInvocation.java:67)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequestProcessor.java:139)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener.java:300)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.SQEventListenerImp$ServiceRunnable.run(SQEventListenerImp.java:230)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.SQEventListenerImp.notifySQEvent(SQEventListenerImp.java:104)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.serverqueue.SQEventSource.notifyEvent(SQEventSource.java:202)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.serverqueue.SQWrapperEventSource$SelectRunnable.notifyService(SQWrapperEventSource.java:347)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.serverqueue.SQWrapperEventSource$SelectRunnable.run(SQWrapperEventSource.java:216)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.outofproc.OutOfProcThread$CtlRunnable.run(Compiled
Code)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:472)

Joseph C. Hager

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
Mario:
This class is in JSP10.jar in the WAS 3.02 lib dir. Add it to your
admin.config classpath in the WAS bin dir. I had to restart the
computer to get WAS to pick up the change, but this will fix your
problem.
Joe Hager

Mario wrote:

--
Joseph C. Hager, Ph.D.
Network Information Research Corporation

Mario

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Thanks Joseph, that was exactly the problem, but we had to turn off the debugmode too to get the system work. Some debug-information
(including invalid escape caracters) was written into the generated java-files what led to problems ;-)
Now our application works properly.

Mario

Lee Lewis

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
java.lang.ClassNotFound and java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError are not the same thing. It sounds like Joseph's response would be for a
ClasNotFound. I am curious if there is something else going on with the NoClassDefFoundError. I am getting that error when I attempt to
create a new instance of a class in a servlet. I know the class is in one of the classpath files. The only thing different about the
class and any other class is the fact it has a static Main method. I have no need for executing the Main method from the servlet but it
is a generated class from the VisualAge for Java Common Connector Framework. Anyone seen this behavior?

Lee Lewis

Mario wrote:

> Thanks Joseph, that was exactly the problem, but we had to turn off the debugmode too to get the system work. Some debug-information
> (including invalid escape caracters) was written into the generated java-files what led to problems ;-)
> Now our application works properly.
>
> Mario

David Armour

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Generally, the NoClassDefFoundError means that a class that is being
instantiated is referencing another class that it can not find or locate.
You will not get a recursive class not found exception. So if your servlet
is doing

Foo foo = new Foo(); if it can't find Foo.class you will get a
ClassNotFoundException. If Foo.class uses Foo2.class and this can not be
found you will get NoClassDefFoundError. If you are using a framework make
sure that if it has a runtime jar (most do) that you have that in the
classpath and then restart the app server.

David Armour
dar...@mail.weains.com