event viewer--application log:
"Could not determine the process id of the java process. Changing the IBMWAS6Service - kNode01 service status to the "stopped" state. To prevent this error, try recreating this service with the -logRoot parameter. The value of the logRoot parameter should be the directory in which the server's .pid file is created."
Does anybody know the solution?
Could you check the WebSphere Application Server logs for the given server
to see if they contain information about the problem (something like
When you start the service, the WebSphere Windows service process
(wasservice.exe) will start a java.exe process (the "real" Application
Server) and look at the log directory to see if a PID file is generated. If
not found, it assumes the process did not start correctly and it will kill
it and retry.
You probably changed the location of the log directory of the Application
Server, and you then need to change the Windows service or did not create
the Windows service with the correct settings.
I was using wrong version of java.
It is fixed once I switched to IBM java.
IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Windows Server 2003 x86-32 j9vmwi322
3-20060504 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20060501_06428_lHdSMR
JIT - 20060428_1800_r8
GC - 20060501_AA)
JCL - 20060511a
Could not determine the process id of the java process. Changing the IBMWAS61Service - server1 service status to the "stopped" state. To prevent this error, try recreating this service with the -logRoot parameter. The value of the logRoot parameter should be the directory in which the server's .pid file is created.
Who can I help me?
Have you checked if WAS starts in the normal way (not as a service) by
using the StartServer command ?
Remember this is not an official support channel. If you need official
help you will have to open a report ticket with IBM through the official
I got this issue on Windows 2003 SP2 and IBMWebSphere 6.1.0_15. I resolved it by deleting the process file in
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\javasharedresources
You may have java.exe hang when you started the Service and crashed. You need to kill this process to delete the process file in that folder. Once this is done, I was able to start the services properly.
I don't know what caused the file to get stuck at 0 bytes but it could have something to do with some configuration I was doing in the admin console.
For me the error message appeared because I had removed app server specific log folders under '...\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\logs' folder. As soon as I restored the sub folders (for example 'server1') from recycle bin the service started successfully.