IBMWAS6Service--Could not determine the process id of the java process.

j...@kingsway-financial.com

Apr 3, 2007, 10:54:31 AM4/3/07
I can't start IBM WebSpere Application service after deploying xPression EAR file.

event viewer--application log:
"Could not determine the process id of the java process. Changing the IBMWAS6Service - kNode01 service status to the "stopped" state. To prevent this error, try recreating this service with the -logRoot parameter. The value of the logRoot parameter should be the directory in which the server's .pid file is created."

Does anybody know the solution?
Port conflict?

Thanks.

Graham Hopkins

Apr 4, 2007, 8:01:03 AM4/4/07
<j...@kingsway-financial.com> wrote in message

Hi,

Could you check the WebSphere Application Server logs for the given server
to see if they contain information about the problem (something like
{install_root}\profiles\{profile}\logs\{server}\SystemOut.log and
SystemErr.log)

Regards

Graham

Ben_

Apr 10, 2007, 3:47:44 AM4/10/07
Tried to do what the error message says: "try recreating this service with
the -logRoot parameter. The value of the logRoot parameter should be the
directory in which the server's .pid file is created."

When you start the service, the WebSphere Windows service process
(wasservice.exe) will start a java.exe process (the "real" Application
Server) and look at the log directory to see if a PID file is generated. If
not found, it assumes the process did not start correctly and it will kill
it and retry.

You probably changed the location of the log directory of the Application
Server, and you then need to change the Windows service or did not create
the Windows service with the correct settings.

j...@kingsway-financial.com

Apr 10, 2007, 11:13:12 AM4/10/07
Thank you all.

I was using wrong version of java.
It is fixed once I switched to IBM java.

gianstefa...@cedacri.it

Sep 25, 2008, 5:24:22 AM9/25/08
I have the same problem with Win2003 R2 SP2 and WAS 6.1 Fix Pack 15. Where can I download the version of the JAVA IBM for to resolve this problem?
Thank You All!

kh...@us.ibm.com

Sep 25, 2008, 7:13:44 AM9/25/08
Make sure you use the Java that comes with WebSphere instead of the Java that comes with Windows.

Ken

gianstefa...@cedacri.it

Sep 25, 2008, 8:07:26 AM9/25/08
How can I verify if I use Java Ibm and not Java Windows?

namdev...@yahoo.com

Sep 25, 2008, 8:54:23 AM9/25/08
issue "java -version" from the bin directory of the java you are trying to use.

gianstefa...@cedacri.it

Sep 25, 2008, 9:02:24 AM9/25/08
java -version
java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build pwi32dev-20060511 (SR2))

IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Windows Server 2003 x86-32 j9vmwi322
3-20060504 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20060501_06428_lHdSMR
JIT - 20060428_1800_r8
GC - 20060501_AA)
JCL - 20060511a

gianstefa...@cedacri.it

Sep 25, 2008, 9:40:35 AM9/25/08
At this point I think that is not a problem of Java version. But the service doesn't start after the reboot of the system. I ever have this error in the Event Viewer:

Could not determine the process id of the java process. Changing the IBMWAS61Service - server1 service status to the "stopped" state. To prevent this error, try recreating this service with the -logRoot parameter. The value of the logRoot parameter should be the directory in which the server's .pid file is created.

Who can I help me?
Thank You

Juanma Martinez

Sep 25, 2008, 9:47:24 AM9/25/08
gianstefa...@cedacri.it escribió:

Have you checked if WAS starts in the normal way (not as a service) by
using the StartServer command ?

--

Juanma Martinez

gianstefa...@cedacri.it

Sep 25, 2008, 11:41:11 AM9/25/08
I would to add another information about this problem. I have 2 application server in a cluster. On the first application server where can I open the administration console, the services doesn't start, but on second application server the services about nodeagent and server1 start.
Have you some information about this problem?

gianstefa...@cedacri.it

Sep 26, 2008, 3:36:32 AM9/26/08
is there anyone?
I attach my SystemOut.log

Juanma Martinez

Sep 26, 2008, 4:16:36 AM9/26/08
gianstefa...@cedacri.it escribió:

> is there anyone?
> I attach my SystemOut.log

Remember this is not an official support channel. If you need official
help you will have to open a report ticket with IBM through the official
channel.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/was/support/probsub.html

--

Juanma Martinez

kh...@us.ibm.com

Sep 26, 2008, 6:09:01 AM9/26/08
There are obvious configuration errors in your log file, what have you done to correct them?

Ken

gianstefa...@cedacri.it

Sep 26, 2008, 9:48:18 AM9/26/08
Thank you all for the support, but I have resolved after the installation of the fix pack 17!

gianstefa...@cedacri.it

Oct 3, 2008, 6:17:04 AM10/3/08
I have this problem after that I have installed Fix Pack 19.
Why with Fix Pack 17 I dont'have this problem?

ZHAS...@eblacorp.com

Feb 16, 2009, 5:55:00 AM2/16/09
Hi

I got this issue on Windows 2003 SP2 and IBMWebSphere 6.1.0_15. I resolved it by deleting the process file in
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\javasharedresources

You may have java.exe hang when you started the Service and crashed. You need to kill this process to delete the process file in that folder. Once this is done, I was able to start the services properly.

HTH

regards;
Zack

wyatt...@ellerbebecket.com

Mar 19, 2009, 9:58:00 AM3/19/09
In my case, this error was being caused by a 0 byte security.xml file. I copied the contents from a previous version of the file (do a search in your appserver directory) and saved it. After that, each service would start up without issue.

I don't know what caused the file to get stuck at 0 bytes but it could have something to do with some configuration I was doing in the admin console.

tero....@fi.ibm.com

Apr 28, 2009, 5:02:08 AM4/28/09
Hello,

For me the error message appeared because I had removed app server specific log folders under '...\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\logs' folder. As soon as I restored the sub folders (for example 'server1') from recycle bin the service started successfully.

br,
Tero

Sri Sunderesan Shanmuganathan

Jul 17, 2022, 11:15:15 PM7/17/22