NVram/CMOS BIOS Hacking to Remove WiFi Card Whitelist

Computer Nerd Kev

Sep 2, 2020, 8:23:41 PM9/2/20
I'm trying to get an Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN WiFi card to work in
a Thinkpad R60. I'm getting the 1802 error, and applying the no-1802
fix using the Live CD didn't stop it.

I'd rather keep with the NVram setting approach to fixing this rather
than flash a hacked BIOS image, because if I stuff up the NVram
settings then the worst result should be needing to pull the BIOS
battery to reset them.

There are guides to hacking BIOS ROM images linked from this page on
ThinkWiki:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card#Modifying_the_BIOS

I'm wondering if there's a guide or at least some description of
NVram BIOS setting hacking. I'm thinking it would be something like
comparing a dump of the NVram to a dump of the BIOS ROM, and looking
at what parts of BIOS code change the NVram. The BIOS may have the
function to offer a "disable whitelist check" in the settings menu,
but it's just not enabled by Lenovo - that would show where to write
with an R60-compatible no-1802 program.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Computer Nerd Kev

Nov 1, 2020, 2:16:22 AM11/1/20
In comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad Computer Nerd Kev <n...@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> I'm trying to get an Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN WiFi card to work in
> a Thinkpad R60. I'm getting the 1802 error, and applying the no-1802
> fix using the Live CD didn't stop it.

Well on my third attempt (and the second with an Intel 3945 card out
of a Thinkpad!) I managed to get one that the BIOS was happy with. So
I guess I'm saved from any BIOS hacking, if that was ever going to
happen given the limited info that I managed to dig up.