What Thinkpads are you folks using?

Oregonian Haruspex

Dec 7, 2017, 9:24:59 PM12/7/17

I’m using a T60, it’s really nice and unfortunately it’s almost impossible
to get a new laptop with a real keyboard. Still it’s pretty amazing to see
that a decade-old computer can handle pretty much anything still, 3D games
and HD streaming excepted.

I bet HD streaming video would work fine too if you could find somebody to
serve it in a reasonable format.

Robert

Dec 8, 2017, 3:58:03 PM12/8/17
I have three t60s and love them all. My favorite is the 64 bit machine with ATI graphics running windows 7.

Oregonian Haruspex

Dec 11, 2017, 7:18:08 PM12/11/17
I just got an X40 as well, I’m going to put an SSD in there and see how I
like that.

It’s too bad that laptop construction has gone dow the tubes these past
years, is it possible to buy one without a chicklet keyboard and glossy
screen these days?

Computer Nerd Kev

Dec 12, 2017, 3:57:52 PM12/12/17
Oregonian Haruspex <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Robert <corsa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 9:24:59 PM UTC-5, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>>> I?m using a T60, it?s really nice and unfortunately it?s almost impossible
>>> to get a new laptop with a real keyboard. Still it?s pretty amazing to see
>>> that a decade-old computer can handle pretty much anything still, 3D games
>>> and HD streaming excepted.
>>>
>>> I bet HD streaming video would work fine too if you could find somebody to
>>> serve it in a reasonable format.
>>
>> I have three t60s and love them all. My favorite is the 64 bit machine
>> with ATI graphics running windows 7.
>>

> I just got an X40 as well, I?m going to put an SSD in there and see how I
> like that.
>
> It?s too bad that laptop construction has gone dow the tubes these past
> years, is it possible to buy one without a chicklet keyboard and glossy
> screen these days?

Perhaps it is, but you'll want deep pockets:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/05/lenovo_retro_thinkpad_25th_anniversary/

I'm still using my R31, on Linux. It is starting to struggle with some
websites lately though.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Oregonian Haruspex

Dec 14, 2017, 12:47:38 AM12/14/17
Why the R31? Is there any reason in particular you picked that model?

I chose the T60 because it’s the last model without the pozzed ME BS.

Computer Nerd Kev

Dec 14, 2017, 4:58:06 PM12/14/17
> I chose the T60 because it?s the last model without the pozzed ME BS.

Available cheap second-hand at the time, and I don't believe in upgrading
unless there's something I can't get the old hardware to do (besides some
websites, everything else runs great). I also bought a knocked about R32
for spares, not needed yet (touch wood).

To compare with later ones though, I do like the more pronounced trackpoint
"nib". I never took to touchpads, so I also like not having one of those in
the way. It feels more solid too.

Archer

Dec 15, 2017, 10:02:25 AM12/15/17
Ha Ha I use an R50e (2005 model) and it still works great. It has XP
SP3 on it. Tried Win 7 but it was too much so back with XP and use it
daily.
And all the time I prefer it to my latest Lenovo G50

--
Archer

Joe

Dec 22, 2017, 3:44:49 AM12/22/17
I am on my X201 still. Last model sold with the option to not have a
trackpad. I do plan to pick up another to run me_cleaner on and have it
linux or openbsd exclusive.

Computer Nerd Kev

Dec 22, 2017, 5:00:01 PM12/22/17
Joe <joe...@this.is.invalid> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <n...@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> Oregonian Haruspex <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Why the R31? Is there any reason in particular you picked that model?
>>>
>>> I chose the T60 because it?s the last model without the pozzed ME BS.
>>
>> Available cheap second-hand at the time, and I don't believe in upgrading
>> unless there's something I can't get the old hardware to do (besides some
>> websites, everything else runs great). I also bought a knocked about R32
>> for spares, not needed yet (touch wood).
>>
>> To compare with later ones though, I do like the more pronounced trackpoint
>> "nib". I never took to touchpads, so I also like not having one of those in
>> the way. It feels more solid too.
>>

> I am on my X201 still. Last model sold with the option to not have a
> trackpad.

Ah, I didn't realise they kept that as an option. I'll keep that in mind.