Thinkpad R51 not posting

justaW

Jun 19, 2023, 3:08:40 PM6/19/23
Since I've joined usenet I figure I might as well ask.

I own a R51 for a very long time. When I got it, it worked flawlessly
(about 10 years ago, the battery even worked).
However a few years ago I wanted to try to have it boot from a CF card
instead of the slow IDE drive.

When I tried to boot the device, it never passes through post. The
system fans spin up to max, the power LED lights up, but it never
progresses through boot. I can't even access the bios.

I recall seeing something a long time ago on a forum that this model
might be suffering from a poor solder somewhere on the mainboard, but I
haven't the slightest idea on where I might need to look for that. I
don't even think that site still exists. I didn't think anything of it
at the time, because my device worked, but now that I have it sitting on
a shelf collecting dust, I still want to try to salvage it.

Does anyone know anything about a bad soldier on the R51? The model
number fully is R51 2889-CTO.

I've done everything short of disassembling the device, but it will not
post regardless of if there is or is not the hard drive, battery, or CD
drive connected.

Thanks

Computer Nerd Kev

Jun 19, 2023, 7:05:24 PM6/19/23
justaW <jus...@noreply.invalid> wrote:
> Since I've joined usenet I figure I might as well ask.

See my reply in comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad.

If you want to post a question to two groups, then please include
both groups (comma-separated) in the "Newsgroups: " header of one
post, rather than starting two separate threads where people can
waste time having the same discussions separately.

--
__ __