Maximum number of AJT items in an experiment?

Jeremy

Mar 18, 2021, 2:00:52 PM3/18/21
to ibexexperiments
I designed an AJT experiment with 180 AJT items in it. Each list has 60 items. However, it seems that the experiment is not working? Is there a maximum number of AJT items for each experiment? Many thanks.

Alexandre Cremers

Mar 18, 2021, 2:16:01 PM3/18/21
to ibexexp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It shouldn't be a problem. Can you share a link to the experiment?

Best,
Alexandre

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021, 20:00 Jeremy <yfc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I designed an AJT experiment with 180 AJT items in it. Each list has 60 items. However, it seems that the experiment is not working? Is there a maximum number of AJT items for each experiment? Many thanks.

Jeremy

Mar 18, 2021, 3:22:25 PM3/18/21
to ibexexperiments
Hi Alexandre,

Many thanks!

Here is the link to the experiment:

Please see the codes in the attachment.

Best wishes,
Jeremy
AJT CODES.txt

Alex Drummond

Mar 18, 2021, 4:16:48 PM3/18/21
to ibexexperiments
The experiment isn't loading because of syntax errors in your data
file. From line 243 onwards you're missing the closing ']' for each
item. So for example, line 243 should be changed to:

[["AJT-CLBF.A.1", 108], "AcceptabilityJudgment", {s: "我 买了 一 只 可爱的 黑狗 给 小美。"}],

The error reported on the Javascript console is a bit obscure owing to
the way the Javascript is dynamically loaded. I'll see if I can
improve this.

A good trick is to try executing your data file using Node
(https://nodejs.org/en/). If the file is syntactically valid, you'll
get a runtime error about some function or other not being defined.
But if there are syntax errors, node will report these.

Best,
Alex
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ibexexperiments/deba81fa-fe5d-463f-96ef-ff9b1a097a19n%40googlegroups.com.

Alexandre Cremers

Mar 18, 2021, 4:17:20 PM3/18/21
to ibexexp...@googlegroups.com
You forgot to close your "]" bracket in items 108 to 113. Check the console when running your experiment ;-)

Alexandre Cremers

Mar 18, 2021, 4:19:22 PM3/18/21
to ibexexp...@googlegroups.com
Alex managed to be 1min faster than me!

The error in my console was actually quite informative:
Uncaught SyntaxError: missing ] after element listview:276:1note: [ opened at line 265, column 0

Best,
Alexandre

Alex Drummond

Mar 18, 2021, 4:24:47 PM3/18/21
to ibexexperiments
@Alexandre. The error message is good, but unfortunately it seems that
Chrome and Firefox don't make use of the sourceURL information when
the file is syntactically invalid. So for me at least, clicking on the
reported location of the error takes me somewhere in the internal Ibex
code rather than the relevant position in the data file. Kind of
annoying.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ibexexperiments/CABk4Z5cFMS4d7BMDirpRg3YftgNR7ANfFe-KP%3DGVqKU_mjGMTw%40mail.gmail.com.

Alexandre Cremers

Mar 18, 2021, 4:30:09 PM3/18/21
to ibexexp...@googlegroups.com
I see. I don't usually use the link, but it would be neat if it was sending us directly to the error!

That being said, if you test your experiment often enough you can easily figure out where to look, and the error at least tells you what to look for.

Alex Drummond

Mar 18, 2021, 5:11:43 PM3/18/21
to ibexexperiments
Ah, I was forgetting a couple of things. It may be useful to know that
in Chrome you'll see a link to the source position of the error if

* you're logged in as the owner of the experiment and,
* you open the dev console and then refresh the page.

The first condition is due to the link to the source file requiring
authorization. I could potentially remove that restriction for
published experiments.

Alex
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ibexexperiments/CABk4Z5fsW5JMPmP1N_8g689LmSZvBWLs-uDxn6N9KBp0AD5mrA%40mail.gmail.com.

Jeremy

Mar 18, 2021, 8:12:41 PM3/18/21
to ibexexperiments
Dear both,

Thank you so much! You saved my PhD project.

Best wishes,
Jeremy