Night riding at Teak Place

Leon Jacobs

Aug 25, 2008, 6:54:01 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com

Hi

A few of us are going to do the 24hour Mugg & Bean event this coming weekend. This will include night riding which we all do not get enough of.

I spoke to Deon at Teak Place in Muldersdrift where they do night races on a 8km track. He said it is fine to come through and do the track. It is free and there are showers to use as well.

I have attached a map to Teak Place. So far we are thinking of going through on Tuesday and Thursday night to do some night riding. Let me know if anyone is keen.

Cheers,

Leon

082 940 6420

Leon Jacobs

Aug 25, 2008, 6:55:15 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, map attached.

Teak%20Directions.jpg

Paul Damhuis

Aug 25, 2008, 7:02:27 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
I have been keen for some night trailtime for a while. I never knew
there was a trail here, what is it like?

/Paul

Paul Ruinaard

Aug 25, 2008, 7:09:35 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Same question - I know the place but what trails are there ?

Paul Ruinaard
Chief Executive Officer
VBX Telecom

Office: +27 87 750 7002

Mobile: +27 82 928 7955

Fax: +27 86 511 8779

E-Mail: pa...@vbx.co.za.

WebSite: www.vbx.co.za

NOTICES:
1. This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender at VBX immediately. Any unauthorised use, alteration or dissemination
is prohibited.
2. VBX accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss whether it be direct,
indirect or consequential, arising from information made available and
actions resulting there from.
3. Please note that VBX only binds itself by way of signed agreements.
'Signed' refers to a hand-written signature, excluding any signature
appended by 'electronic communication' as defined in the Electronic
Communications and Transactions Act, no. 25 of 2002.
4. Directors: J M Davis, B G Hyson, H.G. Miller, P.F. Retief, M.R.
Schormann; P.H. Ruinaard
5. VBX Communications (Pty) Ltd 2006/033910/07 Vat No 4720234295

The difference between great people and everyone else is that great people
create their lives actively, while everyone else is created by their lives,
passively waiting to see where life takes them next. The difference between
the two is the difference between living fully and just existing.

Michael E. Gerber

Aug 25, 2008, 7:10:16 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Does anyone have the routes that are available around the Teak Place area -

[...]

Aug 25, 2008, 7:17:59 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

The last time I raced there (a couple of month's back) there where two routes.
The race route has two monster climbs on it, as well as a fast descent.
However not technical at all. The other was more sedate (still had most of the
long back climb).

Both routes go up past the petting farm. The routes separate just after the
stone and cement mud covered bridge that is immediately after a left turn. The
hard route goes straight while the easy route turns right and continues next
to the river. Take a spare set of lungs if you taking the race route.

I'd offer to show you guy's the routes on Thursday, but my wife is away on
business and I'll be looking after the kids.

Regards

Mark

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's
limits."
-- Albert Einstein

> Does anyone have the routes that are available around the Teak Place
> area -
>
> Paul Ruinaard
> Chief Executive Officer
> VBX Telecom
>
> Office: +27 87 750 7002
>
> Mobile: +27 82 928 7955
>
> Fax: +27 86 511 8779
>

> E-Mail: <mailto:pe...@vbx.co.za> pa...@vbx.co.za.
>
> WebSite: <http://www.vbx.co.za/> www.vbx.co.za

> ------- End of Original Message -------

Paul Damhuis

Aug 25, 2008, 7:22:10 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
I'm also on duty thursday evening :)

Tuesday however sounds like a good idea

/Paul

Paul Ruinaard

Aug 25, 2008, 7:20:06 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
How long are the routes?

Paul Ruinaard
Chief Executive Officer
VBX Telecom

[...]

Mark Stockton

Aug 25, 2008, 7:25:12 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Would love to, however that is the night I ride in the Souf at Rietvlei. Sorry.

Mark Stockton

Aug 25, 2008, 7:27:10 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
The race route is about 7 or 8km while the easier route is 5 or 6.

Paul Damhuis

Aug 25, 2008, 7:35:03 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Night riding at Rietvlei, is it an organised thing or a pitch and ride ?

I have heard of the place where is it ?

/Paul

Mark Stockton

Aug 25, 2008, 8:17:55 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
It's is loosely organised for 18h00 every Tuesday and Thursday. You need to
get an access card from the LBS (The Cycle Hub) as they constantly building
and maintaining the trails. Works out to R 10.00 per ride.

The only problem is it is very far from where we live. Rietvlei is west of
Alberton. However I work in City Deep so not to bad for me.

Leon Jacobs

Aug 25, 2008, 9:42:44 AM8/25/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com

Also heard about Rietvlei. Sounds like a great place for mtb but just a bit far for the week. Keen to check it out on a weekend soon though.

I will be going through tomorrow night so I will be able to check out the trails and get a feel for it. Paul and Paul, let me know if you guys are keen to come out as well.

Dean from Teak Place whom I spoke to this morning only spoke about the 8km route which was used for night racing but it would be nice to do both if the shorter route is still there.

Apparently there is also a 45km trail which forms part of the 94.7 mtb route. Not sure how and if it is marked at all.

Maybe one day soon we can do night rides on the mtb route in Golden Harvest!