morning rides

pa...@ibanzi.co.za

Sep 30, 2008, 9:31:31 AM9/30/08
to ibanzi
Is anyone keen on a regular ride in the morning, say at about 6am

time and place can be set by consensus.

regards
Paul

Anel Bester

Sep 30, 2008, 9:57:16 AM9/30/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
If you do on a week-end I would definitely be interested. Bit late for
during the week though...

Regards

Anel

Paul Damhuis

Sep 30, 2008, 10:44:18 AM9/30/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
I am thinking of calling a regular weekday morning ride. so it will
likely only start next week.

Weekends I ride with Trailriding http://trailriding.co.za

We are doing a beginners ride this weekend from Vida in Greenside,
have a look at the calendar.

/Paul

Mark Stockton

Oct 1, 2008, 1:31:41 AM10/1/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping to put together a regular Braamfontein Spruit ride on weekends. It
would start at either the Total Garage at the corner of Douglas Drive and
Leslie or at the Bryanpark Spar, go down Grosvenor to the spruit. Bit of a
tough climb back either up 12th Ave / Cowley or Grosvenor.

Sadly it won't be starting this weekend as I'm away. Anyone interested let me
know.

Regards

Mark

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's
limits."
-- Albert Einstein

> ------- End of Original Message -------

Paul Damhuis

Oct 1, 2008, 2:57:10 AM10/1/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good, I used to do that route when I cycled to the office,
Leslie, Grovner and 12th 2 times a day, made me quite strong.

Weekends I ride with trailriding but am keen to join in.

We also sometimes ride down Witkoppen to the spruit at Mugg and bean
then up the spruit to Emerentia and back. Makes for a long ride and
with my current fitness quite impossible.

When you are back call a ride on the list.

/Paul

Mark Stockton

Oct 1, 2008, 3:10:13 AM10/1/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Will do. Probably be either the 11th or 12th to make up for not doing the
Crater Cruise. ;-(

Paul Damhuis

Oct 1, 2008, 4:01:05 AM10/1/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps we should make it earlier, any suggestions ?

/Paul

Adrian Venter

Oct 2, 2008, 4:25:32 AM10/2/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

New addition to this group and I would definitely be interested.

Cheers
Adrian
Adrian Venter
T/A Aven Consulting
Authorised Financial Services Provider
Registered tax practitioner
Tel: +27 11 704-2478
Fax: +27 11 704-1420
P O Box 69720, Bryanston, 2021

The e-mail and attachments are confidential and intended only for selected
recipients. If you have received it in error, you may not in any way
disclose or rely on the contents. You may not keep, copy or distribute the
e-mail. Should you receive it, immediately notify the sender of the error
and delete the e-mail. Also note that this form of communication is not
secure, it can be intercepted, and may not necessarily be free of errors
and
viruses in spite of reasonable efforts to secure this medium.

Ashleigh Ward

Oct 3, 2008, 2:11:56 AM10/3/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
I agree. If it is over the weekend I'd love to join, just that weekdays can get a bit hectic

Ashleigh Ward

Environmental Planner

SiVEST Environmental Division

Direct +27 11 798 0684

Tel +27 11 798 0600

Fax +27 11 803 7272

Email ashl...@sivest.co.za

website www.sivest.co.za

Consulting Engineers - Project Managers - Evironmental Consultants - Town and Regional Planners Offices in: Durban - Johannesburg - Pietermaritzburg - Richards Bay - King Williams Town - Ladysmith

Oct 3, 2008, 2:14:25 AM10/3/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

I would interested in joining you for rides on weekends, so if you are going next week please let me know. Much appreciated.

Ashleigh Ward

Environmental Planner

SiVEST Environmental Division

Direct +27 11 798 0684

Tel +27 11 798 0600

Fax +27 11 803 7272

Email ashl...@sivest.co.za

website www.sivest.co.za

Consulting Engineers - Project Managers - Evironmental Consultants - Town and Regional Planners Offices in: Durban - Johannesburg - Pietermaritzburg - Richards Bay - King Williams Town - Ladysmith

Paul Ruinaard

Oct 3, 2008, 2:45:31 AM10/3/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
We ride a regular group that leaves from the Mugg and Bean Paulshof at 6:30
am, goes up to the tree line in Melville and back for coffee - about 2,5
hours.

We are going tomorrow if you want to come with. It is not too fast as I am
riding a long travel bike, so if you want to hammer then you may want to go
with us for a bit and then head of on your own.

Paul

Paul Ruinaard
Chief Executive Officer
VBX Telecom

Office: +27 87 750 7002

Mobile: +27 82 928 7955

Fax: +27 86 511 8779

E-Mail: pa...@vbx.co.za.

WebSite: www.vbx.co.za

NOTICES:
1. This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender at VBX immediately. Any unauthorised use, alteration or dissemination
is prohibited.
2. VBX accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss whether it be direct,
indirect or consequential, arising from information made available and
actions resulting there from.
3. Please note that VBX only binds itself by way of signed agreements.
'Signed' refers to a hand-written signature, excluding any signature
appended by 'electronic communication' as defined in the Electronic
Communications and Transactions Act, no. 25 of 2002.
4. Directors: J M Davis, B G Hyson, H.G. Miller, P.F. Retief, M.R.
Schormann; P.H. Ruinaard
5. VBX Communications (Pty) Ltd 2006/033910/07 Vat No 4720234295

The difference between great people and everyone else is that great people
create their lives actively, while everyone else is created by their lives,
passively waiting to see where life takes them next. The difference between
the two is the difference between living fully and just existing.

Michael E. Gerber

Paul Ruinaard.vcf

Ashleigh Ward

Oct 3, 2008, 3:00:39 AM10/3/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a mill. My bike's in for a service today, but if I'm able to get it back this afternoon I'd like to join tomorrow

Paul Ruinaard

Oct 3, 2008, 3:48:54 AM10/3/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Will be there riding a Santa Cruz Nomad - we leave near 6:30 depending on
who over sleeps
Paul Ruinaard.vcf

Ashleigh Ward

Oct 3, 2008, 3:59:27 AM10/3/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Great. I've got your cell number so I'll sms you to let you know whether I'll be able to come tomorrow.

simon

Oct 3, 2008, 10:49:25 AM10/3/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Simon here
would also be intereted but need early warning
as can only join when avail work sucks
thanks

Paul Damhuis

Oct 3, 2008, 5:05:45 PM10/3/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Weekday rides are usually tuesday and thursday, if you are keen the call a ride or let the list know. There is always someone keen.

/Paul

David Kruger

Oct 6, 2008, 4:21:59 AM10/6/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

These early morning rides - what is the start time and where is the meeting place?
winmail.dat

Mark Stockton

Oct 6, 2008, 5:51:09 AM10/6/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I'm planning a group ride for Sunday the 12th of October.

The plan is to leave the Douglasdale Total garage at the corner of Leslie and
Douglas Drive at 8am, Woolworth's side of Leslie. Anyone keen on joining let
me know.

Pace will be relaxed and hopefully we can find a spot to get a cup of coffee
on the way back.

Ashleigh Ward

Oct 6, 2008, 6:51:42 AM10/6/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Getting my bike back today so I'd be keen in joining.

Mark Stockton

Oct 9, 2008, 6:30:55 AM10/9/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I thought I'd cross post this info from thehubsa.co.za:

"It happened, at where I thought was the safe end of the Spruit - in the open
field near the wooden bridge close to 12th Avenue

It apparently was not the bush sleepers/blanket walkers - these chaps were
well dressed and clearly knew what they were doing. Preferred method of
appropriation were knives - and apparently they were not happy with just
taking his bike they wanted a fight... needless to say the chap in question
did not put up one."

It seems that it isn't a good idea to ride the spruit by ones self.
Furthermore avoiding pedestrians (especially in groups) is a good idea.

Finally similar incidents of crime or even suspicion of crime, email Inspector
Van Heerden on in...@randburgpolice.co.za

BTW - As far as I'm concerned the ride for Sunday is still on.

Cheers

Paul Damhuis

Oct 9, 2008, 9:10:59 AM10/9/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark

It is never a good idea to ride alone or even in small groups, it is
also a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and avoid any likely
trouble areas or people.

Regards
Paul

Mark Stockton

Oct 11, 2008, 3:49:53 AM10/11/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder to all the ride is still on for tomorrow morning.

See you at 8.

Paul Damhuis

Oct 11, 2008, 7:27:21 AM10/11/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Enjoy the ride

Paul Damhuis

Oct 12, 2008, 3:39:05 PM10/12/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
How was the spruit ride on sunday?

/Paul

Mark Stockton

Oct 13, 2008, 2:50:28 AM10/13/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

The ride turned out to be a very good one, the route we followed was:

From Leslie and Douglas Drive,
South on Douglas, becomes Grosvenor.
Follow Grosvenor all the way to the spruit using pavements mostly.
South along the spruit to the bridge just after Republic and William Nicole.
Back up the spruit to Devonshire.
Up Devonshire to Cambridge Rd,
Across to Cowley and all the way up Cowley over mount. Monster climb, thank
fully short!!!
We then rode throught the park land that seperates the new bike park from the
townhouses,
Up Sloan and down Main.
Finally we turned up past the 4X4 garage and worked our way back onto Leslie
and home.

The ride took 2 hours and was 28.5km door to door.

Sadly not many joined the ride, one person came down with flu, another had a
family emergency however the biggest problem seemed to be over indulgence the
night before.

On the way back we stopped at the bike park and chatted to some guy's working
on the park. While there we where approached by Ali McLean (Andrews wife) who
had just fought off a bike jacker on Main Road where it crosses the N1.

I would like to organise more rides, however it just isn't viable given the
lack of support. There was another bike-jacking in the spruit on Saturday and
the only way to do this safely is in a fairly large group. Therefore next week
I'll either be riding at Northern Farm, Rietvlei or road bike in the Cradle.

Regards

Mark

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's
limits."
-- Albert Einstein

Oct 13, 2008, 3:31:22 AM10/13/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

Probably the best source of information on the bike-jackings is here:

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=34373

The count is officially 3 in the last week. All between the bridge at
Devonshire and the N1.

McDonald Greg

Oct 13, 2008, 4:26:18 AM10/13/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

How does the Rietvlei set up work?

Greg
Aforbes.co.za Disclaimer

Please note: This email and its contents are subject to the disclaimer as displayed at the following link
http://www.alexanderforbes.co.za/LegalNotices/EmailLegalNotice.htm

Should you not have Web access, send an email to legal...@aforbes.co.za and a copy will be sent to you.

Mark Stockton

Oct 13, 2008, 6:28:41 AM10/13/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

There is a cycle shop at Rietvlei called the Cycle Hub, they build and
maintain the trails. You can buy either a day pass, 10 visit ticket or annual
pass from them. It works out at R 10.00 per ride on the 10 visit ticket.

You just need to be aware, this is Rietvlei Farm Zoo, on Kliprivier Drive near
Alberton.