Golden Harvest

Paul Damhuis

Jun 11, 2008, 1:45:39 PM6/11/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I am meeting with Parks Department next week to create some trails in
Golden Harvest. If anyone would like to assist with trailbuilding or
has any suggestions please let me know.

If you dont know where Golden Harvest is please let me know :)

Regards
Paul

Cinnabar Consulting

Jun 12, 2008, 2:55:08 AM6/12/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Okay - I'll ask the question: Where is Golden Harvest?

Anel

Leon Jacobs

Jun 12, 2008, 3:19:28 AM6/12/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com

Golden Harvest Park

Access via Maple Drive off Olivenhout (traffic lights on Olivenhout between Northgate and Banbury Cross), Northwold

Johannesburg is full of beautiful surprises. Many of the parks and nature reserves are true treasures that we, the citizens of Joburg, can justifiably be proud of. Most people, I am sure, will probably never have heard of Golden Harvest Park and it is not surprising when one considers that there are more than 2500 parks and open spaces within the city. Golden Harvest Park is situated in Northwold, close to the Coca Cola Dome and is one of the largest public open spaces in the northern Suburbs of the municipality.

The park was established by the then Randburg Municipality in 1972 as a 'green lung' for its people and with the reorganization of local government, became part of the open spaces of Johannesburg City Parks.

The park offers opportunities for various forms of recreation, including walking, fishing and mountain biking. A stroll around the main dam can be very pleasant. The geese will come and inspect you as interlopers in their preciously guarded domain. Away from the dam there are also some interesting natural bush areas to explore.

There is also a play area for the children with climbing apparatus to delight the most adventurous of kids.

City Parks have a regional office in the park along with a depot. There are also braai facilities and a lapa that can be booked by groups

There are well paved roads in the park and visitors are requested to keep to these. There is an entrance charge to Golden Harvest Park, payable at the entrance gate.

Conclusion

Another place to visit when you are in town and looking for somewhere to go and something to do. Golden Harvest may well surprise you by what it has to offer.

Sue Fortina

Jun 12, 2008, 6:00:24 AM6/12/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com

I’ll be keen on some trails here as this is just down the road for me. I’ll do my best to help with the trailbuilding, if you get the go-ahead.

Checked by AVG.

Checked by AVG.

Mark Stockton

Jun 12, 2008, 6:19:57 AM6/12/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
I'll also help where I can. Not sure where I'll find the time. Also being a
Rietvlei regular I can pick their brains as they cut nearly all the technical
trails themselves.

iba...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: [ibanzi] Re: Golden Harvest
>
> Golden Harvest Park
>
> Access via Maple Drive off Olivenhout (traffic lights on Olivenhout
> between Northgate and Banbury Cross), Northwold
>
> _____
>

> Johannesburg is full of beautiful surprises. Many of the parks and
> nature reserves are true treasures that we, the citizens of Joburg,
> can justifiably be proud of. Most people, I am sure, will probably
> never have heard of Golden Harvest Park and it is not surprising
> when one considers that there are more than 2500 parks and open
> spaces within the city. Golden Harvest Park is situated in Northwold,
> close to the Coca Cola Dome and is one of the largest public open
> spaces in the northern Suburbs of the municipality.
>
> The park was established by the then Randburg Municipality in 1972
> as a 'green lung' for its people and with the reorganization of
> local government, became part of the open spaces of Johannesburg
> City Parks.
>

> The park offers opportunities for various forms of recreation,
> including walking, fishing and mountain biking. A stroll around the
> main dam can be very pleasant. The geese will come and inspect you
> as interlopers in their preciously guarded domain. Away from the dam
> there are also some interesting natural bush areas to explore.
>
> There is also a play area for the children with climbing apparatus
> to delight the most adventurous of kids.
>

> ------- End of Original Message -------

Paul Damhuis

Jun 12, 2008, 7:54:54 AM6/12/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
I expect trailbuilding will be on weekends.

Dont think I have ever ridden Rietvlei, where and what sort of trails ?

/Paul

Mark Stockton

Jun 12, 2008, 8:11:50 AM6/12/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Rietvlei is in the South, west of Alberton. I work in the area and ride there
most Tuesday nights and the occasional night race.

A core groups of about 6 guys and there gardeners cut 3 levels of trail (ie
yellow, green and blue). They are also working on some black descents and drop
offs now.

Well worth a visit to see what can be done. The green and blue sections are
very, very technical. I walk a lot of those sections.

> I expect trailbuilding will be on weekends.
>
> Dont think I have ever ridden Rietvlei, where and what sort of
> trails ?
>
> /Paul
>
> On 12 Jun 2008, at 12:19 PM, Mark Stockton wrote:
>

> > I'll also help where I can. Not sure where I'll find the time. Also
> > being a
> > Rietvlei regular I can pick their brains as they cut nearly all the
> > technical
> > trails themselves.

Gary....@emerson.com

Jun 12, 2008, 8:21:16 AM6/12/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Hey Paul, this sounds excellent! We might have to leave work a little
earlier one Tuesday and go and have a ride there with Mark?!

But....when I say a little earlier in my job it unfortunately doesn't
mean 12pm like you!!

Gary

Mark Stockton

Jun 12, 2008, 8:32:50 AM6/12/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Weekends would be better, not many attempt to ride the blue and black stuff in
the dark. Although the idea of sneaking out the office after lunch does sound
good.