Successful Spruit Patrol for Randburg Police Unit

Paul Damhuis

Oct 27, 2008, 4:19:08 PM10/27/08
to iba...@googlegroups.com
Successful Spruit Patrol for Randburg Police Unit

The Randburg Police Mountain Bike Patrol Unit completed two successful
patrols of sections of the Braamfontein Spruit in the past week, in an
effort to improve safety for users of the popular urban riverside
trail in Johannesburg’s northern suburbs.

Following a spate of recent incidents where mountain bikers have been
attacked and robbed of their bicycles and other equipment while using
‘The Spruit’, as the trail is commonly known, the Randburg Police have
mobilised their mountain bike unit, under the command of Inspectors
Hein Van Heerden and James Swann.

On Wednesday 22 October they did an exploratory afternoon patrol on
The Spruit between Peter Place and the N1. Numerous individuals were
questioned and searched and no arrests were made.

Then on Saturday 25 October a dawn patrol of the land adjacent to Main
Road, Sloan Street and the N1, followed by a patrol on The Spruit from
12th Avenue to Jan Smuts Avenue resulted in 13 arrests.

“Most of the arrests were illegal immigrants,” explained Inspector van
Heerden. “One guy we arrested was a suspect in an attempted armed
robbery of a mountain biker we had encountered earlier who described
his assailants to us. We need this mountain biker to contact us to
give an official statement so that we can open a case.”

According to Inspector van Heerden, the patrols were a success and
only the beginning of a sustained effort by the unit, which is a pilot
project and a result of collaboration between local corporates,
residents and the SAPS.

“Yes, a good result and a good start,” said Inspector van Heerden. “It
is very important for mountain bikers, or any users of the
Braamfontein Spruit, who are assaulted or robbed to make a statement
at either the Randburg Police Station or the Sandton Police Station.
Even if it is only an attempted assault or robbery. This helps us
build up a database from which to make more specific links and
successful arrests.”

To report any incidents or to offer any useful information that could
lead to improved safety on the Braamfontein Spruit and other public
areas, contact Inspectors van Heerden or Swann on 011 4499000 or email in...@randburgpolice.co.za

The Braamfontein Spruit trail runs through Randburg and Sandton and is
popular among recreational mountain bikers who have recently been
targeted by armed robbers.

Inspector James Swann (left) and Inspector Hein van Heerden have
achieved early success in their efforts to use the Randburg Police
Mountain Bike Patrol Unit to improve safety for users of the
Braamfontein Spruit Trail.