Open Contracting Data Standard - Latest Beta Iteration

Tim Davies

Sep 4, 2014, 12:09:01 PM9/4/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Hello all, (mailing with my Web Foundation hat on... but subscribed with this address so easiest to send from here)

We've just released a beta iteration of the Open Contracting Data Standard (OCDS). You can find it at http://ocds.open-contracting.org/standard/r/0__3__2/

You will see that, at the moment, we've focused in describing a model for publishing data (releases, combined into records), and providing a JSON Schema for serialising data about public procurement contracts.

I'm sharing with the IATI list, as we had discussed at the TAG in Montreal points of connection between IATI and Open Contracting, and this might be a good point to revisit that discussion.

Two options that had been explored in discussions in Montreal:

 - Embedding Open Contracting Data within IATI - at present we don't have an XML serialization of OCDS, and conceptually I'm not entirely sure how this would work.

 - Cross-linking - so that an iati-activities can cross-reference to a related OCDS Contracting Process, Contract or Award (note, a Contracting Process involves a unique tendering process, but can have multiple contracts and awards - so there may be a one-to-many relationship from iati-activity to ocds-contracting-process). This would require new properties added to IATI, OCDS or both to make the link.

Are there use cases or demands for any of these approaches? If so - it would be great to work these up as feedback to the draft OCDS so we can make sure they are factored in over the coming months.

All feedback very much welcome

All the best

Tim

--

w: http://www.timdavies.org.uk | m: 07834 856 303 | twitter: timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation: http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk
Practical Participation Ltd is a registered company in England and Wales - #5381958.