Zotero dataset item type update

Mooney, Hailey

Dec 3, 2012, 9:31:00 AM12/3/12
to iassis...@googlegroups.com

Hello SIGDC members,

As mentioned at our meeting recently, I had the opportunity to attend a Zotero train-the-trainer workshop given by Sebastian Karcher last week.  I brought up the issue of adding a “dataset” item type to Zotero.  I learned that this is already under development in response to community suggestions.  There is still work to be done, for example correcting issues with sync processes.  They are also working on this for other new item types, such as music scores.  Zotero expects to roll out new item types as part of its next major version update (it cannot be done as a smaller patch), which has a loose ballpark figure of approximately six months from now, everything going according to plan.  They are basing the record fields on the DataCite metadata schema.  The dataset item type is already included in the Citation Style Language (CSL) coding that Zotero relies on to format citations.

Sincerely,

Hailey

---

Hailey Mooney

Data Services and Reference Librarian

Liaison to Human Development & Family Studies, Social Work, Sociology

Michigan State University Libraries

366 W. Circle Drive

East Lansing, MI 48824

517-884-0857