FW: Data Citation Synthesis Group: Draft Declaration of Data Citation Principles

1 view

Hayslett, Michele Matz

Dec 6, 2013, 9:57:47 AM12/6/13
to iassis...@googlegroups.com

Apologies for duplication.

Michele

From: Research Data Management discussion list [mailto:RESEARCH...@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of CODATA ED
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2013 10:14 AM
To: RESEARCH...@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Data Citation Synthesis Group: Draft Declaration of Data Citation Principles

The Data Citation Synthesis Group http://www.force11.org/node/4381 has released a draft Declaration of Data Citation Principles http://www.force11.org/datacitation and invites comment.

Although this has been announced already here, I wanted to make three further points:

1) This has been a very interesting and positive collaborative process and has involved a number of groups and committed individuals. Encouraging the practice of data citation, it seems to me, is one of the key steps towards giving research data its proper place in the literature.

As the preamble to the draft principles states:

Sound, reproducible scholarship rests upon a foundation of robust, accessible data. For this to be so in practice as well as theory, data must be accorded due importance in the practice of scholarship and in the enduring scholarly record. In other words, data should be considered legitimate, citable products of research. Data citation, like the citation of other evidence and sources, is good research practice.

In support of this assertion, and to encourage good practice, we offer a set of guiding principles for data citation.

2) Please do comment on these principles. We hope that with community feedback and support, a finalised set of principles can be widely endorsed and adopted.

Discussion on a variety of lists is welcome, of course. However, if you want the Synthesis Group to take full account of your views, please be sure to post your comments on the discussion forum http://www.force11.org/datacitation.

3) I wanted to add here some notes and observations on the genesis of these principles, which I have done on the CODATA blog: http://codata.org/blog/2013/11/25/data-citation-synthesis-group-draft-declaration-of-data-citation-principles/ - I hope this background may be of interest.

Best wishes,

Simon.

Dr Simon Hodson | Executive Director CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: exe...@codata.org | Twitter: @simonhodson99 | Skype: simonhodson99

Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96 | Tel (Cell): +33 6 86 30 42 59

CODATA (ICSU Committee on Data for Science and Technology), 5 rue Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE