training people to use DDI

1 view

Libbie

Nov 27, 2012, 10:05:36 PM11/27/12
to iassis...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I have been asked to do a 30 minute workshop with hands-on training in using DDI. This would be part of a workshop on metadata and others are going to be giving talks on TEI, EML, etc.  The students are CLIR fellows (a post-doctoral program for PhD's in information studies).  I do not know what background any of them will have had in survey research, in codebook development, or in statistical analysis of data.  I don't think this is possible, given how long it took me to learn just DDI 2.0 and use it properly.  But I thought I would ask all of you if you have ever done such workshops and if you can suggest any ways to go.
best, libbie

Jeremy Iverson

Nov 28, 2012, 7:19:55 AM11/28/12
to iassis...@googlegroups.com
Libbie,

30 minutes is a bit short to get into a full tutorial with XML, but it
is a good amount of time for a general introduction to the background
and content of the standard, and to get people using the same vocabulary
to talk about the data lifecycle.

I have some slides I would be happy to clean up and share if that would
be useful. When is the workshop? I am traveling this week but can
hopefully get them to you soon.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Amy West

Dec 3, 2012, 12:45:40 PM12/3/12
to iassis...@googlegroups.com
What about using the Colectica Excel Addin? I admit, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but Excel should be nice and familiar and that might be a way to ease into the concepts...
--
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.   - Herm Albright

Amy West
Librarian for Data Services, Economics and Psychology
IASSIST Archivist: http://www.iassistdata.org/