T-R discussion

Libbie Stephenson

Nov 16, 2012, 4:17:55 PM11/16/12
to iassis...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I seem to remember, or maybe I just fantasized this, but I thought I heard the T-R people say that if an institution already has WoS, then they would be willing to do a deal and reduce the cost of DCI - so an institution could get kind of a package type thing.  Of course, it would depend on how much of a reduction there would be.  Has anyone inquired on this?
best, libbie

--
Libbie Stephenson
Distinguished Librarian

"Be single-minded. Love what you are doing and make it the centerpiece of your life." Donald Cram

Hayslett, Michele Matz

Nov 16, 2012, 4:28:35 PM11/16/12
to iassis...@googlegroups.com

Libbie, I’ve heard about the possibility of a consortial discount, but not one tied to having an existing subscription to other products.  I’ll ask our collections coordinator, though.

Michele

Amy West

Nov 16, 2012, 4:46:20 PM11/16/12
to iassis...@googlegroups.com
We're in the CIC & the CIC consortial deal is

"Subscription to Data Citation Index includes leased access to the Conference Proceedings Citation Index (1990-Present – both editions), when maintaining an on-going subscription to the Data Citation Index and the Book Citation Index.

 Subscription pricing is for leased access to a 13 month term: 12/1/2012 to 12/31/2013
 Pricing is valid until December 1st, 2012
 Includes unlimited, simultaneous users on the Web of Knowledge platform"

So, because the UMN hasn't previously purchased the Conference Proceedings, our 2013 fee would be $24,057. Institutions that have purchased the Conference Proceedings have dramatically lower proposed fees: $11,555 in two cases and $18,933 in another.

There's no indication that one could uncouple the Conference Proceedings from the DCI as part of the CIC offer. However, other consortia might be able to work it that way. Certainly worth a try.

I'm not sure why we haven't gone for the Conference Proceedings before, but if they haven't been high enough priority before, then justifying the $24k cost by saying "but you get the Conference Proceedings" is odd. Reminds me of a conversation with then-LexisNexis about Statistical in which they would offer us a deal only if we promised to keep taking the microfiche (which we really didn't want and which they were only sending once a year anyway). If we cancelled the fiche, they said it would cost more!

So, see if you can a quote just for the DCI. I would be extremely interested in hearing how they respond...
--
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.   - Herm Albright

Amy West
Librarian for Data Services, Economics and Psychology
IASSIST Archivist: http://www.iassistdata.org/

Libbie

Jan 9, 2013, 3:58:07 PM1/9/13
to iassis...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
more thinking on the Data Citation Index .... in our 10 campus library system we have been encouraged to submit suggestions for new/one-time, etc. products for purchase of license.  I'm somehow in a role that suggests data-related items and was mulling over the idea of the Data Citation Index.  I think we do have the Conference Proceedings Index mentioned by Amy, so we'd potentially be able to get a reduced fee and maybe a further price break if it is something that all ten campuses want.  Has anyone moved any further to subscribing?  If so, and if you have a contact person that would be helpful
best, libbie

Elizabeth Moss

Jan 10, 2013, 9:37:15 AM1/10/13
to iassis...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Libbie:
I know that University of Michigan libraries has subscribed to the DCI for the year, with the discount for Conference Proceedings.
Not sure if you are looking for a Thompson Reuters UC sales rep or someone else with whom you might be able to negotiate a discount. I don't happen to know anyone in their sales team, but the Director of Product Strategy, Michael Takats, at Thomson Reuters may be able to put you in touch with someone to speak to about it. We've given him feedback about the product, and he was responsive. His email: michael...@thomsonreuters.com
Or, it may make more sense to speak with Sara Correa, their director of global strategic marketing. Her email: sara....@thomsonreuters.com.
Best,
Elizabeth

--
Elizabeth Moss
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research

Libbie

Jan 10, 2013, 7:35:20 PM1/10/13
to iassis...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Elizabeth.