IASSIST 2013 Conference SIGDC Meeting Minutes

1 view

Mooney, Hailey

Jul 5, 2013, 11:34:32 AM7/5/13
to iassis...@googlegroups.com

Please send any additions or corrections to Hailey Mooney (moo...@msu.edu) and Elizabeth Moss (eam...@umich.edu). Thank you.

IASSIST SIGDC Annual Meeting Minutes

Tuesday 28 May 2013, 16:00-17:00, GESIS Building, Cologne, Germany

Present: Dave Haans, Michelle Hudson, Kate McNeill, Hailey Mooney, Elizabeth Moss, Ron Nakao, Mary Vardigan, Joachim Wackerow, Ryan Womack, Wolfgang Zenk-Möltgen

Review of SIGDC charter and review of activities during the past year

  • IASSIST SIGDC email listserv for current awareness and discussion
  • Updated our list of data citation resources
  • Poked Zotero to add “dataset” (unfortunately, not in the latest update)
  • Local distribution of the Quick Guide to Data Citation after its release at IASSIST 2012
  • Organized panel of invited speakers at this conference: “Data Citations: Linking Literature to Data and Measuring Impact”

Brainstorming session to focus goals for the upcoming year raised these issues/ideas:

  • Need for more contact/follow-up with Zotero
  • IASSIST Quarterly special issue for Sue Dodd
  • Rethink scope and presence of our resources page
    • What is our purpose, especially in light of other very comprehensive resources like the CODATA Bibliography?
    • IASSIST can better focus on the social science perspective
    • We should add the date last updated and a defined scope statement
    • It should be set up so that others can add to it more easily
    • It should include data journals and/or policy statements in journals
  • Update the Wikipedia entry on data citations
  • Engage in outreach to research centers, such as sending Research Data Centers the SIGDC-authored Quick Guide to Data Citation
  • Follow up and keep up with outreach to style manuals
  • Focus on more training/instruction materials, such as training resources that can be easily repurposed by others. For example, module on how to cite data in a C.V., an instructional video, explain how citation is affected by the data context (e.g., primary vs. secondary data)
  • All of these ideas fit into three main themes for the group to potentially work on:
    • Education and Training
    • Information Clearinghouse
    • Advocacy

New chair or co-chairs

  • The terms for Hailey Mooney and Elizabeth Moss have ended. We are happy to help a new person(s) take on the chair or co-chair role. No one stepped forward at the meeting. We will need to solicit a new chair after the conference.