IASA Denver Announcements

Paul Rayner

Oct 28, 2009, 10:49:51 PM10/28/09
to iasa-...@googlegroups.com
Hello IASA Denver!

October 19th Event - Presentation Slides

The slides for Matthew McCullough's excellent presentation "A Journey to the Darker Side of Cloud Computing" are now available on the IASA Denver's SlideShare site.

November 4th - Volunteer Lunch

Next Wednesday, November 4th, at noon we will have a lunch at the Damascus Restaurant (2276 S Colorado Blvd, Denver) for members interested in getting more involved with the chapter. We will discuss volunteer and leadership opportunities. I posted some ideas on a new Volunteer page on the chapter website. If you are interested in volunteering some of your time to serve the chapter then please email me by Friday this week to let me know you will attend so I can book the right size table for next Wednesday.

November 16th - Combined Open Event!

I am very excited to report that our next chapter event on November 16th will be a combined open event with Agile Denver. We will be kicking off the evening at 5pm with an open discussion on emergent architecture and fully-catered dinner from the Szechuan Chinese Restaurant.

At 6pm we have Zach Nies, VP of Products for Rally Software, presenting on Building Feedback Loops into your Architecture followed by George Fairbanks, president of Rhino Research, speaking on Risk-Centric Software Architecture. At 8:30pm we will adjourn to the Baker Street Pub for drinks and socializing (first round is on IASA Denver).

This is a great opportunity for the agile and software architecture communities in Denver to get to know each other better and learn from each other, so let's make each other welcome!

The cost of the event is $5 for IASA Denver members, and $10 for non-members (cash or check only). See www.iasadenver.org for more details, and RSVP to eve...@iasadenver.org no later than Friday November 13th so we can properly estimate our catering.

Note: Due to the higher than usual expected attendance, we are looking for a larger venue (preferably a large meeting room with PA/projector/screen already set up, easy access, central location and free parking). Please email me asap if you have one available.

December 7th Banquet

On December 7th will be running our inaugural chapter members gala banquet in the Dolcetto room at Maggiano's DTC. The banquet will also allow us to celebrate our first two years as a chapter! For those unfamiliar with Maggiano's, the meal will be family-style, and will include two complementary drink tickets for each attendee and an open cash bar for later in the evening.

A portion of the funds raised will be allocated to a local Denver charity. Companies interested in sponsoring the event should email me and I will send out a sponsorship packet.

I met with Grady Booch at the ITARC conference in NYC. He regrets to inform us that (due to unforeseen circumstances) he is no longer able to be our guest speaker. We are now actively seeking someone to fill his big shoes. So far Martin Fowler has played hard-to-get, Neil Ford is a maybe, and I am waiting to hear back from Eric Evans. We are also pursuing some other industry leaders in IT architecture to see if they might be available. I'll let you know the moment we have our guest speaker confirmed.

Tickets will go on sale soon, and will be $40 for members and $65 for non-members. This will be an awesome event!

Phew, I think that's all for now!

Regards,
Paul.

--
Paul Rayner
President and Founder, IASA Denver (www.iasadenver.org)

Matthew McCullough

Oct 30, 2009, 3:27:37 PM10/30/09
to iasa-...@googlegroups.com
IASA Members, Paul,

I will have just arrived back from the TSSJS Prague trip (Tim Berglund too, btw) to a large queue of work waiting for me...  Though I would want to, I can't make the drive to the luncheon on Wednesday.  I'd still like to participate in the process though, even if merely as an idea generator.

What I would like to toss in for discussion is a "technology advisory board" segment of our monthly meetings.  Everyone would come prepared (verbal only, or PDFs on a memory stick -- save the trees) to give the group a 3 minute summary of something worth putting on our radar in the architecture space.  Egg timer or pomodoro hard limit to 3 minutes.  Aim is very high density, quick hits.  Neal Ford participates this way with ThroughWorks -- they have 20 T.W. architects do this and dial into the CTO's (Rebecca Parsons) bridge once a month.

-Matthew