HCC Member Request- Earthquakes

IAEM Healthcare Caucus

Jan 8, 2024, 2:56:26 PMJan 8
to IAEM Healthcare
Good afternoon Healthcare Caucus- please see request below from IAEM member Jennifer Lord:

I’m hoping you can help me reach out to the healthcare emergency management hivemind regarding recommendations for healthcare providers to do for their patients during an earthquake. We teach Drop/Cover/Hold which is all good if you are able bodied. However, if patients are not conscious or able to protect themselves during an earthquake what should healthcare workers do for their patients? I have not been able to find any guidelines or descriptions. I’m developing a series of exercises related to the Great Shakeout earthquake annual exercise. I’m sure that some of my healthcare workers are going to ask what they should do for patients, and right now I don’t have an answer.

I am hoping you might be able to assist me. I am working as one of several Emergency Preparedness Program Managers for MultiCare Health System in Washington state. I have a focus on plan development and exercise design.

If you would be so kind as to put my question out there and directing folks to respond to me directly that would be great! My email is jennif...@multicare.org.

Jenn

Thanks,
Jason