CARF standards and EPP

Andrew D. McGuire

Feb 22, 2024, 7:20:19 AMFeb 22
to Iaem-Healthcare
Has anyone had experience navigating the CARF standards related to Emergency Preparedness for Rehabilitation, Skilled Nursing or the newer CARF standards for Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs)? I’m specifically looking for information or interpretation on the number of drills / exercises (separate from fire drills) that they expect annually. There is language in the standards related to testing many different scenarios (evacuation, bomb threat, active shooter, natural events like weather, etc.) on each shift annually. Do they really expect a CCRC / Skilled Nursing to conduct 15 exercises annually? Again, these are separate from monthly fire drills.

Thanks,
Andy McGuire
Sent from my iPhone

Chelsia Elmore

Feb 22, 2024, 8:36:29 AMFeb 22
to iaem-he...@googlegroups.com
I can assist with inpatient Rehab information.  We do a full scale evacuation once a year (Bomb threat).
We provide a Business Continuity severe weather Table Top yearly.
The unit provides 2 annual insessions or trainings based on top HVAs.
Total of 4 activities.

Jody Carter

Feb 22, 2024, 8:45:46 AMFeb 22
to iaem-he...@googlegroups.com
I think the biggest detail with the CARF standards is to ensure everything is done by shift.... their standard particularly requires an evacuation drill with the simulated evacuation of patients once per year per shift. To accomplish this at our Inpatient Rehab hospital, we conduct an unannounced drill of our evacuation sleds and use a full size mannequin to reduce staff injury potential. We do that drill once during the year for the day shift, and then a second time during the year for the night shift.

Oddly, they allow the other drill per shift to be done by way of an unannounced written test in lieu of an actual drill.

We're able to meet all of the other requirements by way of annual training. We've developed a matrix to help us keep track of all this. Let me see what I'm able to find and I'll email it over to you later today.

Jody Carter
Emergency Preparedness Coordinator
Baptist Health

 IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE

 The information, both of the message and any attachments, contained in this message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

 If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to an intended recipient, or has received this message in error, you are hereby notified that we do not consent to any reading, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any such actions are strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the transmitted information.

Debra Shiflettpicardi

Feb 22, 2024, 2:32:08 PMFeb 22
to iaem-he...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is important that it's done every shift. Absolutely. I would love to get us all on a virtual meeting so we can discuss it.

McGuire, Andrew

Feb 22, 2024, 9:18:49 PMFeb 22
to iaem-he...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone have availability on Monday at 1pm ET to discuss the CARF standards?  I will set up a MS Teams Meeting and send out the link to everyone.

Thanks,

Andy

ANDREW D. McGUIRE, CEM, EMT-P (he/him/his)

Senior Fire + Emergency Management Consultant

CT + RI Long Term Care Mutual Aid Plans Program Manager

31 Cooke Street, Plainville, CT 06062

O: +1 860-390-1949 C: +1 203-648-7116 (text friendly)

andrew....@jensenhughes.com

Book time to meet with me

jensenhughes.com

CONNECT WITH US

Receive the latest company updates, industry news and free educational insights from our experts. Sign-up here.

This message contains information that may be confidential and legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, do not use, copy, or disseminate this message, or any of its contents. If you have received the message in error, please immediately advise the sender by replying to this message and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system.

IAEM-USA Healthcare Caucus Chair Emeritus

IAEM-USA Region 1 Past President

Feb 22, 2024, 9:49:20 PMFeb 22
to iaem-he...@googlegroups.com
No I have a drill scheduled for noon Central Time. Sorry.

Debra Shiflettpicardi

Mar 4, 2024, 12:43:51 PMMar 4
to IAEM Healthcare
The way I do the drills for CARF requirements is based on my understanding of the requirements. I conduct an unannounced drill per quarter for all Rehab areas, for all shifts. So, we have 3 floors dedicated to rehab in one facility and an entire PT floor. I conduct those drills on every floor.  The drills are specific to those areas that you presented. I had literally combined two or more elements per drills so I can complete them all. The only one I do on its own is evacuation, I conduct the vertical move alone because we do MedSled evacuations.  The answer is yet.