Sparrows at Harrier Marsh

Doug & Nina Harr

Oct 4, 2022, 2:01:11 PM10/4/22
to IA-Bird ListServe
Searching Harrier Marsh WMA for sparrows late this morning I managed to turn up a LeConte's Sparrow (FOY).  It was in the same location at a dried marsh edge with a large bunch of Swamp Sparrows, Savannah Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows and a couple of Song Sparrows, but I was not yet able to find a Nelson's Sparrow.  The WMA's namesake bird (Northern Harrier) was busily hunting the whole hour I spent there.

Earlier this morning, at Ledges State Park, I had a very short, quick glimpse of a small wren that appeared to be a Winter Wren. But it disappeared into thick brush and I was not able to find it again, so I can't quite confirm the ID.  This was in a spot near the edge of Lost Lake where I often see one each fall and winter.

Doug Harr
Ogden