Western Grebes - Hamilton Co.

Tyler M. Harms

Jun 30, 2024, 3:21:21 PMJun 30
to IA-BIRD
Birders,

There is currently a pair of Western Grebes on Little Wall Lake in Hamilton County. The birds were viewable from Hwy 69 between the two pull-offs.

Tyler Harms
Ames, Story Co.

Eli Kenyon

Jun 30, 2024, 6:57:16 PMJun 30
to tyh...@gmail.com, ia-...@googlegroups.com

The two western grebes continue,  but are closer to the north large pull off, in the no wake area. This is despite the amount of traffic on the lake.

Eli Kenyon
Ames, Story County

--
Post by sending an email to ia-...@googlegroups.com.
IOU Code of Birding Ethics - https://iowabirds.org/Pages.aspx?pg=6
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ia-bird/CAPMjp30V1_VVnD0hohdfAnagctF1p7pERVFfbfvb_-wsbjkHjQ%40mail.gmail.com.

wybo...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2024, 8:29:27 PMJul 1
to Eli Kenyon, tyh...@gmail.com, ia-...@googlegroups.com

Was in Ames for work this morning so ran up to look but they must have moved on. Could not find them. Was really windy and water really choppy so maybe I just couldn’t see them. Darn. Just two Great Blue Herons and 10 pelicans.

Thanks!

Wolfgang Oesterreich

Jul 2, 2024, 9:34:50 AMJul 2
to Tyler M. Harms, IA-BIRD
Paul Domoto, my wife (Lesia), and I drove up to Little Wall Lake in the late afternoon.  It took a while to find only 1 of the Western Grebes in the choppy water and rain.  The grebe was seen mostly along the SW side of the lake.  The grebe did dive quite a lot and moved around rather quickly.  Also present were 11 American White Pelicans.  Visit https://ebird.org/checklist/S184918545 for a list and photos.
Wolf. Oesterreich
Ames